MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
I am quite happy that none of my drakes are Mallards, lol. Wasn't there a finding of homosexual necrophilia once?

If it died fairly recently it would be fair game. Many of the Mallard based domestics are pretty randy drakes. That would be most of the domestic ducks, with the smaller domestics being the most active. My Runners will kill a female by over mating if I don't watch them. If you watch them they don't do it as much..........no jk, you have to remove the female if they are breeding too often/too much. The same with Mallards and that is why there are so many Mallards with strange coloring.

w.

Last edited:
It is a Mallard but probably mixed. Mallards mate with anything.

Walt

It's possible that he's a mix? Maybe a Mallard drake got in with someone's Appleyard hen and bam, little Mallard/Appleyard babies without anyone knowing? OR, he could just be a very off Appleyard? I don't know much about duck breeding, but I know with dogs, sometimes they have "throw backs" where one pup will come out looking like the breed did MANYYYYYYYYYYYY generations ago(I'm talking, like, hundreds, though; I don't know how old Appleyards are). With dogs, the throw backs are more built for what the breed was originally bred for(I hate most breeds today because they couldn't do what their breed was *meant* to do). A lot of working-bred dogs tend to stay true to form, whereas more show-bred dogs stray from that and look... "pretty" for the shows. Anyway, sorry for going a little off topic there. I know ducks work a lot differently in that sense, but still. There are a lot of possibilities.

It's my understanding that if they know where the food is, and they know there's a warm place, they won't migrate. Pyrrhos can very easily fly, but she chooses to stay in the pen. The Welshies are her flock, and I think she does really like them. I hope she really likes us, haha.

Learningstill, that's good! That she already knows, I mean. And yeah, I don't know if I would ever really be able to do that, which is why I plan on selling them as day-olds or week-olds. I wouldn't want to keep them around for several weeks and get attached to them. I couldn't do something like that, lol.
Thanks. He is hatchery, I got him and my other ducks from TSC.

was checkin on mine today and from listenin to them I think I can tell which is which. they are definitely a difference in them. some have one little tail feather tryin to curl. and I noticed the ones I think are ducks (louder more defined quacks, no tail feather curl) have black and orange beak. the ones I think are drake (very quiet raspy quacks, little tail feather curl comin in) have black and green beak.

{{{btw mine were the khaki cambell duck mom and mallard drake dad}}}

I got pics but on a friends computer so don't have right now. will post em when I can.

Can someone post a picture of them holding a full grown mallard drake? I'm curious to see how big they are.

This is my daughters show drake. We were told he fits standard pretty close to perfect. He is considered a little fat, but the judge said you cannot help this because their standard is set by the wild. I had my daughter hold him and her friend hold a pop can to see the approx size. He is molting, so he is not pretty.

***either the forum or photobucket isn't liking me this is the best I can do right now... suggestions welcome lol***

ok pics finally! I couldn't get any help and they sure weren't happy with me! so they aren't great but here they are.

drake body

drake face

drake tail (hard to see in the pic but he has a lil bitty tail curl comin)

duck body

duck face (she kinda hurt her upper beak tryin to break out the cage bringin her home)

duck tail

Last edited:

Hate to tell you, your pictures say error when I tried to look at them.

Your drake looks like a campbell is that what he is? And the duck like a khaki/mallard, is that what she is? Sorry, I have not been reading everything that was posted.

Your drake looks like a campbell is that what he is? And the duck like a khaki/mallard, is that what she is? Sorry, I have not been reading everything that was posted.
hahaha I don't know why that worked but it did! thank you hahaha.

they are all khaki mom and mallard dad. they were brooded by mom this spring. these two plus four more on the way(rest of the same brood). just had to give the person some time to wrangle them up and have a time to bring em over.

Back
Top Bottom