MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
AWWWWWWWWWW!!!  Pyrrhos, is such a pretty girl!!  My Peepers is getting greener and greener every day.  I have to take another pic of him and share.  He's a pretty boy - and quite the RANDY character. Much to his dismay, my girl Spot (Swedish Blue) doesn't want anything to do with him and will dive underwater to avoid his advances.  She much prefers our big boy, Raspberry (another Swede).  In the spring, I'm going to separate the boys.  I think I'll keep Spot with Raspberry.  Unfortunately, Peepers will have to be the lone bachelor in his own habitat because I won't have them hurting each other - or my girl, Spot -  over stinkin' spring hormones.  ;)

Lol yeah, I think Mallard drakes tend to be super amorous lol. Is it possible to get Peepers a, uh, 'friend' lol? If not, I doubt it'll matter as long as they're separated during mating season.

is this a drake or hen?

is this a drake or hen?
Well it might be a drake just look really close on its head and see if you can see the grean coloring coming in yet or the white ring. It might take a while before you start noticing it though. Also if it has a raspy kind of quack its a drake and if it has a clearer quack its a hen. I think the greaner bills does mean a drake too. Not positive on that though. Oh and also the curly tail feathers. If it has feathers on its rump that start to curl it is also a drake.

Ok thanks he/she is now 12 weeks old and still no green to the head and no curl to the tail feathers and it never quakes or makes any noise for that matter!

Based on that, I'm *guessing* that it's a hen.

My Pyrrhos doesn't quack, either. She'll be...

... Holy crap. She's gonna be 21 weeks old on Saturday! Anyways, she just makes chirping noises, but I have yet to hear a loud quack from her. The ducks that were *supposed* to be quiet - the Welsh Harlequins - are the loudest, lol. Even though only one is *really* loud, and another is sorta loud. XD

ANYWAYS.

Here's the lovely Pyrrhos today!

Hi guys! I'm looking to get a crested mallard ducklings and raise him as a pet. I want to get a drake because they are quieter. Do mallards make good pets? I'm going to get a day old so he will be imprinted. Does anyone have a picture of someone holding a mallard drake so I know how big they are? The males weigh only 2 1/2 pounds where I'm getting him from. And also can I get two males and raise them together? I have no females so there shouldn't be any fighting. Quacker is staying at my friends farm ever since she made friends with the muscovy flock there.

I don't have the crested mallards but I do have a mallard drake. I think they are similar in size but I'm not sure as I'm not familiar with the crested mallards. I have all drakes, one mallard and three rouen and they only sort of fight in their pool. Its not kill eachother fighting, they just don't like swimming together I guess. I got another pool and that stopped. You should be able to get two drakes with no problem. Just watch out because I got two mallards and I ddidn't have a top on the pen yet so one flew away. :( my other mallard has decided to stay though. I think they make good pets and are extremely fun to raise after they are just hatched. This is my drake Josh.

Here's him with my Rouens so you can see the size diffence.

Back
Top Bottom