MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
I would love to see some more pictures of everyone with their mallards. Especially pictures that show how big they are compared to people and other animals. I'm still figuring out how big they will be. I'm gonna have my hands full when they get here, being a duck "mama" and all. Do your mallards get along with your chickens? Favorite treats? Are yours mallards friendly? Do you're males fight with each other. Feel free to give me a run down of mallards as pets.

My mallard is a drake and he gets nippy in the spring but thats cuz he has a lady :) He goes nuts for earth worms! Kinda weird but he likes em! Your males should be fine if they dont have ducks. They do well with chickens as well. If you hold them often and talk to them tons they will follow you and recognize your voice!

http://thegoosesmother.com/id6.html This website has tons on the baby stage! And how to make them as tame as possible, Mine arent house ducks but the rules are the same

I'm familiar with the gooses mother. Her husband gave me good advice of what to do with my muscovy drake when he got aggressive. I will have plenty of worms and mealworms for them, haha. My only concern is local mallard hens landing in my yard and disrupting the boys bond. I'm going to have them outside a lot for walks, go to parks, pet stores, and just general backyard fun. Does anyone do wing clipping here? Does it work for mallards? What way do you do it? With my parrots we clip both wings. Some birds don't need all their flight feathers cut since they are not good flyers but some can still take off with all of them cut. I don't want to have a leash on them all the time when they are out, so I take back what I said about flying. I can't wait to get them. I'm so excited!!

Last question. Do you find your mallards to act any different than you're regular ducks?

I'm familiar with the gooses mother. Her husband gave me good advice of what to do with my muscovy drake when he got aggressive. I will have plenty of worms and mealworms for them, haha. My only concern is local mallard hens landing in my yard and disrupting the boys bond. I'm going to have them outside a lot for walks, go to parks, pet stores, and just general backyard fun. Does anyone do wing clipping here? Does it work for mallards? What way do you do it? With my parrots we clip both wings. Some birds don't need all their flight feathers cut since they are not good flyers but some can still take off with all of them cut. I don't want to have a leash on them all the time when they are out, so I take back what I said about flying. I can't wait to get them. I'm so excited!!

Last question. Do you find your mallards to act any different than you're regular ducks?

I clip my mallards wings, I start at the last primary, cut that one and continue through the axial feather and stop before you hit the bright blue feathers. Do this on both sides, My mallard has never gotten more than a few feet off the ground with a good run.

I wouldnt worry about wild females landing in your yard but be careful at parks, and other bodies of water where wild mallards are located. I have never had a female come to my drakes calls

I only have mallard to compare behavior so I am not sure but they seem more apt to swimming and having a blast in the water!My friends mallards and mine hang out together along with her other ducks and the mallards are usually the first ones in the water and the last ones out.

Nevermind I found good information on clipping the toes on babies in a ornamental waterfowl thread.

Quote:Me before

Since they are both the same I will have some trouble telling them apart. I'm going to use zip ties as leg bands to tell them apart in the long run. As baby ducklings I'm going to use cut straws as leg bands. Once they are fully grown I'm gonna have little pet bandannas for them to wear when we go out with their names on them. Quacker doesn't mind his bandanna at all. He just thought it meant he was going outside haha. The of course for those of you familiar with indoor ducks know they will have two different color diaper harnesses for when they are running around the house. It's going to be such fun to have babies again!

Last edited:
I would love to see some more pictures of everyone with their mallards. Especially pictures that show how big they are compared to people and other animals. I'm still figuring out how big they will be. I'm gonna have my hands full when they get here, being a duck "mama" and all. Do your mallards get along with your chickens? Favorite treats? Are yours mallards friendly? Do you're males fight with each other. Feel free to give me a run down of mallards as pets.

My ducks like to fight with my chickens but haven't really hurt them bad.
My ducks love cat food,watermelon,and corn.
My mallards aren't mean but they really don't like me and I have catch them to pick them up.
My males do fight some.
I have 1 mallard and 1 Pekin and they had hybrids.
They are more like mallards though.
They lay pretty,yummy and good eggs.

Awesome duck :D

thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom