MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
So I am working on the babies adult cage. We have a macaw cage in our living room that we are going to try to adjust for them to live in for their downstairs cage. I'm thinking about putting a wooden base with high walls in the bottom that will be lined with plastic. That way I can put in bedding and contain some of the mess. It would be great because it's huge. I hope they like to perch because I can put all sorts of perches and platforms in this cage. It also has a hole for a nestbox so they have somewhere to sleep in.

This is my other set up for them. It's pretty big and my Muscovy used to love it.

They are getting a little more cuddly as they grow. They will sleep on my lap instead of hopping off and walking around as much. They are starting to respond to my name too. I will take a photoshoot tomorrow to document their progress.

I don't think ducks often perch like other birds, do they? Or maybe Mallards are different? I know Pyrrhos likes to hop on rocks, but I've never seen her really perch on anything.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Wow! I Googled Rouen Ducks, what a surprise to see how the two can be confused. I am a newbie to ducks and am enjoying learning more and more about them.

So without having a male of each breed side by side to compare, what does one look for in the differences between a Mallard and a Rouen?

They look like a mallard Rouen cross, giving them a different confirmation. Other than that they are absolutely gorgeous in coloration, I love how bright your drakes bill is!
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
Wow! I Googled Rouen Ducks, what a surprise to see how the two can be confused. I am a newbie to ducks and am enjoying learning more and more about them.

So without having a male of each breed side by side to compare, what does one look for in the differences between a Mallard and a Rouen?

Quote: Just based on what I've observed in wild mallards they land in trees. I could easily make some platforms for them if they don't like the perches. I feel like I'm over thinking everything but I just wanna be sure. I just hope they grow up to love me.

I was reminded some friends mentioned they might be Rouens because they haven't really flown. Only a few times have I seen them airborne and then only a couple feet off the ground for a distance of only several feet. Mmmmmm really makes me wonder just what we have. The lady that gave them to us said they were Mallards, but maybe she doesn't know either.

I don't think ducks often perch like other birds, do they? Or maybe Mallards are different? I know Pyrrhos likes to hop on rocks, but I've never seen her really perch on anything.
My Pekin can perch on a chicken perch
cool.png

So I am working on the babies adult cage. We have a macaw cage in our living room that we are going to try to adjust for them to live in for their downstairs cage. I'm thinking about putting a wooden base with high walls in the bottom that will be lined with plastic. That way I can put in bedding and contain some of the mess. It would be great because it's huge. I hope they like to perch because I can put all sorts of perches and platforms in this cage. It also has a hole for a nestbox so they have somewhere to sleep in.

This is my other set up for them. It's pretty big and my Muscovy used to love it.

They are getting a little more cuddly as they grow. They will sleep on my lap instead of hopping off and walking around as much. They are starting to respond to my name too. I will take a photoshoot tomorrow to document their progress.
Awesome set up
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom