MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
Yeah I love her so much, she not really a special needs duck nothing messed up her brain or anything she can fly but she doesn't try to leave or anything but I can't tell she misses her old life

See I don't have a coop ,my ducks sleep outside except if there injured then they go in the infirmery pen and ducklings when they begin to molt go in te outside nursery pen which I put henny ( the mallard ) in te nursery pen becuase I thought she would get along with my ducklings
smile.png
They need a safe secure place especially at night.

Nah they're fine , we have a lot of acres and tey hang around the pond especially the mallards and rouens but the muscovies only really sleep down by the pond anyway it's fine we have guard geese and the neighbor has a collie mix that protects the neighbors boredred at night and comes over on our land to make sure te ducks are safe, she loves the ducks, she's such a sweet dog

Ha and I know my ducks are safe because I wouldn't let them sleep outside if they weren't safe , I mean there are some dangers but I know for a fact nothing ba will come to them so don't even say I should put them up because I know , but thanks for the concern

Yay! My Mallard hen went broody again! :) She's currently sitting on 8 eggs, and I think she's ready to actually sit on them. She doesn't seem to be getting off as often as she was when she was laying the other 7 eggs. Does that make today day #1?

Can you all tell me if female mallards' heads look a little green when they're young (I'm talking almost 6 weeks). My 2 supposed females both have a little bit of green on their heads when the light hits them just right. I'm wondering if I was given 2 drakes instead.
barnie.gif

This is Harriet. She has a somewhat twisted bill and one cloudy eye that she doesn't see well out of. She has the most green and you can see it in this pic. Sophie doesn't have quite as much. But, she has some green, too.

What do you think?? Is she a Harriet or a Harry??

Yes, black colors trend to be structural colors, refracting light waves. As a result, at the right angle, the black appears green or blue. A mallard drake head color is black, it is the refracted light that makes it appear green
That bird looks like a duck to me.

Clint

Yes, black colors trend to be structural colors, refracting light waves. As a result, at the right angle, the black appears green or blue. A mallard drake head color is black, it is the refracted light that makes it appear green
That bird looks like a duck to me.

Clint

Thanks for responding so quickly, Clint! ...She IS the more verbal of the two. Does this one look like a duck, as well?...

Pardon how dirty they are - the green shows up better before they get wet. So I took pics before they went in the tub. They played in the tub while I cleaned out their bin after I took these pics.

Last edited:
I think it is. Easiest way is if the tertial coverts have white edging it is a duck, buff edging is a drake. That is how we sex them in the field while banding.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom