MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
Hey guys, it's question time again. So one of my 3 week old mallards has a white half-ring around its neck. I was sure that even drakes got their first feathers in the female colors. I'm really confused and would love some info!

Last edited:
Hey guys, it's question time again. So one of my 3 week old mallards has a white half-ring around its neck. I was sure that even make ducks got their first feathers in the female colors. I'm really confused and would love some info!
That's interesting i have never seen a mallard get a white ring before the feathers. Is it 100% pure mallard?

That's interesting i have never seen a mallard get a white ring before the feathers. Is it 100% pure mallard?
It should be pure. we bought two of them from TSC and both have a toe removed. I thought they only did it with pure Mallards so they would know you didn't steal them from the wild.

Edit: In short, I'm basing purity off the removal of the toe. Everything else about the duckling looks like a normal mallard.

Last edited:
I can't explain it, but I've seen it before. My Rocky (on the right) had that when he was about the same age...feathered out perfectly normal, just like a regular mallard.

I can't explain it, but I've seen it before. My Rocky (on the right) had that when he was about the same age...feathered out perfectly normal, just like a regular mallard.

Thanks for the pictures, they made me feel better about finding the coloring today. Is it possible that it indicates the duckling to be a male? I had that one pegged as a female!

It should be pure. we bought two of them from TSC and both have a toe removed. I thought they only did it with pure Mallards so they would know you didn't steal them from the wild.

Edit: In short, I'm basing purity off the removal of the toe. Everything else about the duckling looks like a normal mallard.

Sounds like it should be a pure mallard!

Thanks for the pictures, they made me feel better about finding the coloring today. Is it possible that it indicates the duckling to be a male? I had that one pegged as a female!
I don't know if that's any indication or not. Obviously mine turned out to be a boy, but if you hear the loud quacking now or soon, you've definitely got a girl. I would trust that over anything else, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom