MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
Hi
My ducklings start hatching and I'm very excited!!! I never hatched mallards.

This is the first.
I will join this thread!
Thanks

Do you have any female mallards?I know that females will grow a drake feather if there aren't any boys around so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same in reverse. Though I am most likely tooootally wrong.
He grew up with a pair of Swedish Blues - 1 drake, 1 duck. And I got 2 female mallards in March. The new girls are in an adjoining pen where everyone can see each other. I won't be putting him in the pen with the girls until August when the girls are 5 months old. He certainly ACTS like he has testosterone! He's a randy little character, for sure. LOL! The interesting thing is how he came to us. Peepers (my mallard drake - in my avatar) walked into my business alone at 1 day old. My hubby walked all around the neighborhood looking for a mallard family. But, he didn't find any around (they're there... but, he didn't come across any that day). So, now, I'm wondering if his Mama duck knew there was something wrong with him and left him??? IDK... I have always thought he just got separated from his brood. But, nature can definitely be cruel. So, anyway... he's the one who started my love of ducks - and, here I am, with 5 ducks a year later including one with weird plumage. ;)

Can you post a pics. If he is a wild bird, there's the chance that he is hybrid, like mallard black duck.

Clint

Do you have any female mallards?I know that females will grow a drake feather if there aren't any boys around so I don't see why he wouldn't do the same in reverse. Though I am most likely tooootally wrong.

A mallard hen or a drake will not change color in their feathers, i'm guessing that's what you mean by a "drake feather" when seperated from the opposite sex.

A mallard hen or a drake will not change color in their feathers, i'm guessing that's what you mean by a "drake feather" when seperated from the opposite sex.I'm talk
I'm talking about the curled feathers on the drake's tail. Known as sex or drake feathers.There are several instances in which ducks have been recorded growing drake feathers when males are absent.

I'm talking about the curled feathers on the drake's tail. Known as sex or drake feathers.There are several instances in which ducks have been recorded growing drake feathers when males are absent. 

Just so you know, it is not s curled tail feather (retrice) it is a tail covert that is curled.

That seems to be a genetic mutation or something that just happened coincidentally with a flock of hens without a drake. Just my thought. I have a small flock of mallard hens without drakes and they are normal.

Back
Top Bottom