MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics

this was sold to me as a rouen but the older it gets the more Im starting to think its a mallard. what do you guys think? its a whole lot smaller than my KC and welsh harlys or my the other that i have no idea what it is but anyway theyre all the same age right at 3 months old. soooooooo im hoping you guys can help me out and also you think its a boy or girl

this was sold to me as a rouen but the older it gets the more Im starting to think its a mallard. what do you guys think? its a whole lot smaller than my KC and welsh harlys or my the other that i have no idea what it is but anyway theyre all the same age right at 3 months old. soooooooo im hoping you guys can help me out and also you think its a boy or girl
if it's smaller than even a khaki campbell by that age, then yes, I'd say you've got a mallard. rouens are very large, like pekin-sized (8-10lbs). khakis are only a pound or two bigger than a mallard, i believe (4-5lbs vs. 2-3lbs).

Sorry, just realized I forgot to say that it appears to be a boy. By that age the males' bills turn a greenish-yellow and the females' bills stay orange. Pretty soon he'll start getting a gorgeous green head too. :)
I'm surprised he can't fly yet though. Most of mine were flying by 8-10 weeks.

Sorry, just realized I forgot to say that it appears to be a boy. By that age the males' bills turn a greenish-yellow and the females' bills stay orange. Pretty soon he'll start getting a gorgeous green head too. :)
I'm surprised he can't fly yet though. Most of mine were flying by 8-10 weeks.
I'm pretty sure he could if he really tried lol he's been experimenting but he doesn't go too far away from the other ducks

I might rescue these ducklings, are they mallards?
00j0j_gqgQTcgQSDC_600x450.jpg
00L0L_3Lz6zUep3ue_600x450.jpg

Someone was looking for a home for them on Craigslist.

Pics of my mallard pair today. Wow!!! I let them out of their enclosed area for the first time in a few weeks and boy can they fly. It was very cool to see them flying so far and with such control. Poor Pie is going through quite an ugly phase getting his new colors.

At what age do they start to mate? I have a pair that is 14 weeks old and I saw them trying to today. It's that a little early? When should I be expecting eggs?

Back
Top Bottom