MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
I think my duck lost her voice! I haven't heard her quack in weeks, and this evening she is making all the mouth movements, but nothing is coming out. Even when the two get separated the drake will call for her, but she doesn't answer. Has anybody had this happen?

The Rouen and mallard flock at feeding time

Also today we clipped out youngest mallards wings finally all the blood feathers have gone and I clipped the females wings ( by the way it took forever ) , anyway let them out got straight ino the pond then wouldn't get out so by subset I had to go for a swim and catch them . To put them back in the coop . Ugh anyway yeah so it's been eventful .

Beautiful like those are really pretty !

I wish I had more mallard colors than black and grey ( actually strangly enough I had a snow mallard female fly in a few months back and she hasent left yet ( that's actually how I got my black mallard when she just walked into the pen with my rouens ( still does that every night when I put them up )

Right now I have a black mallard egg in the incubator hopeing it's fertil but I've been storing it since late July .

Last edited:
This morning my ducks were out as usual, and my little mallard didn't go out in a big group to get fed like the rest of the pekins and chickens. My father mentioned she seemed "off" since she wasn't pal-ing around with her best swedish duck friend, and when I went out this morning she is just totally hiding/missing. We have a massive garden and she frequently goes in there, so my thinking is she's quietly sitting in there under some lettuce or some crazy large plants.

She started laying in the last two weeks, but we haven't seen eggs from her for at least a week. Is she hiding because she's hiding a nest she's trying to brood? She's 5 months old, so she's newly laying, but I am a little worried by her new strange behavior. She is usually stuck like glue to the swedish, and if she's not right next to her, she's at least within eyesight.

So I think our Duck may be going broody? I am not sure. She is not sitting on the eggs yet. Every morning when I go to collect everyone eggs I have to uncover them. I am leaving the Ducks eggs just to see if she is going broody. Once she sits on them I am going to replace them with Chicken eggs. She isn't really hanging with the other Ducks like she usually does and I notice she does get upset when you go near the Coop she doesnt attack but she keeps her mouth open and knd of does a biting action in the air at you...is she going broody??

Back
Top Bottom