MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

So's try I havent had a chance to post these but i picked up my sebpsotpol geese, runners, swedish, and mallards all I got from metzerfarms so i paid extra to get sexed babies so a pair of sebostopol geese a pair of Choco runners a pair of mallards and 2 females a blue swedish and blue runner so heres the

pix

So, I'm pretty sure my "mallards" are not, even though I thought they were. They've really bulked up now that they're a year old, and I think they're a lot bigger than a mallard would be. They also don't have clipped toes, and since they came from the feed store I would guess they'd have that.

So, I'm pretty sure I have a couple of Rouen girls.

/slinks off the thread
roll.png

Hold your head high, Kaessa, as you exit stage right.
smile.png

Could someone reiterate how the eye stripes might help us identify Rouens versus Mallards at a young age, or do I misremember something about that?

Hold your head high, Kaessa, as you exit stage right.
smile.png

Could someone reiterate how the eye stripes might help us identify Rouens versus Mallards at a young age, or do I misremember something about that?

Pretty sure it's two stripes on the Rouen vs one stripe on the Mallards. Unfortunately, I didn't have my two girls when they were little. They DO have a faint second stripe, though.

My mallard ducks hatched 10/27/14 at Metzer Farms,

B]

We also have a wild pair of mallards that have made our pond their home, I'm curious to see where they are going to make a nest and how long they stay. They communicate back and forth with my 6 ducks, its quite entertaining.

Last edited:
the first black mallard baby of the year hatches on the 14 ( assuming that everything goes smoothly )

im so happy there are veins growing, but i havent seen much movement , i really hope everything is alright , we haven't found any more black mallard eggs in her nest but found 3 of them in the pond the other day all floating and being eaten by turtles. :(

i hope she does start another nest i need at least one more.

Is our Mallard duckling a drake or a hen? Or is it still too early to tell?
hu.gif
We have had our ducklings for 3 weeks as of tomorrow (4/9/2015). We also have a Pekin and a Buff ducklings.

Taken today (4/8/2015) while they were outside in their "playpen". (Click for larger images.) My DH is in the process of building a new coop/duck house/run for our 3 Buff Orpington Chickens, our 3 current ducklings (Pekin, Buff, & Mallard), our future (arriving in June from Ideal Poultry) 4 ducklings (2 Khaki Campbell & 2 Cayuga) & 2 chicks (Ideal 236).

My DH washed out an old kitty litter container and drilled 3 large (2"-3") conjoined holes in the side at least 3" from the bottom to make a water container for our ducklings. They just kept knocking over or swimming in all of their other bowls even ones with lids on them. They are too big to squeeze through the opening to go swimming unsupervised. So in some of these photos you'll see a "headless" duckling, but they are just sticking their head inside their water bucket.

Group preening time:

I caught him/her mid scratch:

Best shot I have of the Mallard's side & underbelly incoming plumage:

Would have been a great bill shot except for the chicken wire getting in the shot.

In the beginning I was leaning towards the Mallard being a hen until I noticed that a white ring was developing around the base of the neck. I'll have to see if I have a better shot of the ring from the side or I'll just have to try to get a better picture next time.

Thanks for any help/advice.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom