MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

I'm not saying what you said isn't correct hahaha I'm saying that when you say one gender or another "determines" the gender of an offspring that phrase should be used more loosely. You are talking to a cardiologist here buddy.....

determine(s): cause (something) to occur in a particular way;
be the decisive factor in.

The hen genetically determines the gender of the offspring

And, thank you everyone for your help...

someone else wrote that the females
seem to have a more orange-y bill
and the males, a more olive bill.

I've yet to successfully vent sex any....

If I trusted what I've found so far, they'd
all be female :)

Well, in humans, the sperm determines
the gender of the offspring...(a whole
long science class on X and Y
chromasomes)

in chickens, the HEN determines the
gender....

I wondered if the same was true in ducks
Yes :) exactly
smile.png

determine(s):  cause (something) to occur in a particular way;
be the decisive factor in.

The hen genetically determines the gender of the offspring
No the hen does not "cause" offspring to be one gender or another what happened within the duck or chicken is not decided by the animal :) hahaha I guess you're saying "basic biology" trumps med school. An animal cannot decide its offsprings gender. Yet; anyway.

Quote: Good ness if you took med school you would know that all animals have diffrent chromosomes. The male in humans decides the gender , no he doesnt go "i want a girl" and then all of the sperm makes girls , that is not what we are talking about

The human male has chromosomes that make there be diffrent genders for breeding, in ducks and chickens the female has a different chromosome that decides the gender that the chick will grow to be This is simple biology if you got any education in highschool at all this is basic biology

Last edited:
No the hen does not "cause" offspring to be one gender or another what happened within the duck or chicken is not decided by the animal
smile.png
hahaha I guess you're saying "basic biology" trumps med school. An animal cannot decide its offsprings gender. Yet; anyway.
no the hen's genes that are passed decide if the offspring is male or female, no it- (The hen) doesn't decide, its the genes like you said, but its the z or w gene that decides what the offspring will be and the hen holds the zw gene if it passes a z its a male, if it passes a w its a female and the female can't control which gene is passed.

i think i'm not completely understanding you maybe, are you saying that animals just miraculously have a boy or girl?

Last edited:
Came home to find a blown circuit breaker in the brooder room... So far everything is ok. Any chance my eggs survive? Incubator reading was at 82° I still see movement in all the eggs, and obviously flipped the switch on. But will I loose them anyway?
Sorry, wrong thread!

Last edited:
yay my black mallard egg has hatched, sadly its not black idk why but im happy with it. :) its name is spunky.

I really need to figure out dusky's passing on traits thing. All ive done is get her genetically tested to prove she's pure bred but maybe i should ask for a copy of the report to know how her color is passed. since all of her other babies have been black and this is my first normal mallard baby from her. Maybe i should go get him tested when he is older to know if he can pass down the black coloring i need.

Back
Top Bottom