MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

well then congrats and i hope you enjoy them 

I am sure i will!!
1f600.png

Here's a better picture of my hens, the one on the left is the one I thought was a drake because of her darker overall color, darker bill color and the white stripe her secondary flight feathers have above her speculum, but nope, it's a girl.

Hatched out a nice litte gray call drake this year, but no gray call hens, going to mate him with these 2 Metzer Farm flying mallard hens next year, will get some racy little flying mallards. They'll be little tiny and long and racy for sure :)

Woah duckmeister those wont be mallards and its illegal to call them as such. they will be miced bred and calling them a pure bred term and selling them as such is illegal .

I agree that they should not be called Mallards, but what makes it illegal to do so?

duckmeister

I have made that cross before and it is not guaranteed that they will be racy flying ducks. They could very well look like Calls and not fly very well.

Walt

to claim that a bird is something and to sell them or promote them under the false name when they are mixed breed is the illegal part.

also i find it really annoying because i raise black mallards 100 % mallard blood no other type of ducks mixed into them. and then i see people who claim to have the same thing i ask about bloodline and they say call duck and then i say that they need to change their advertising because they are selling birds under the wrong name.

If I wanted to make a duck that looked like a black Mallard I wouldn't use a Call duck. I agree that it is dishonest to misrepresent birds for sale but I'm not sure that it is illegal.

Do you have pictures of your black Mallards?

Walt

yes of course one black born that day the other is split for black and was born 3 days earlier (this years hatch)

an egg

here is my main female hanging with some rouens before breeding season when i have to separate them

Last edited:
Woah duckmeister those wont be mallards and its illegal to call them as such. they will be miced bred and calling them a pure bred term and selling them as such is illegal .

Whoah Buffgooseguy! You are way out of line. A gray call is just a dwarf mallard, breed them to a bigger duck and you get a bigger mallard. Metzer farm flying mallard's are not purebred wild strain to begin with. Wild mallards lay maybe 16 eggs a year tops. Metzer Farm mallard lay year round, and their color os off. Pure strain wild type mallards have a single eye stripe and these Metzer Farm mallards have more akin to rouen eye stripe, certainly not pure strain Mallard. And there is certainly nothing illegal about me crossing a gray (dwarf mallard) call drake on Metzer Farm flying mallard hens and getting racy little mallards. You owe me an apology. I'v been raising ducks for 50 years, since I was 9 years old, and you must be some wet behind the ears young-un.

Back
Top Bottom