MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Just saying ducks get spooked by a lot of little things. So even if they want to stay they get spooked and fly away anyways a lot of the time. And for their sake of survival clipping them is just safer. That's my opinion

yes i do agree with that they are easily spooked... but if they wanted to stay but got spooked then they would come back, if they really wanted to stay

I have a question. My mallard drake just out of nowhere decided he doesn't like one of my Peking girls (he still runs with and protects a pekin and a Rouen) he will attack her and chase her away from the other 2 girls.. Any idea why..?

I have a question. My mallard drake just out of nowhere decided he doesn't like one of my Peking girls (he still runs with and protects a pekin and a Rouen) he will attack her and chase her away from the other 2 girls.. Any idea why..?
Ducks have their own little minds, I tell ya, it can drive one to distraction. Einz spent so many days screaming at the new Buffs she actually went permanently hoarse. Why? I don't know. Chemistry. Hormones.

Just saying ducks get spooked by a lot of little things. So even if they want to stay they get spooked and fly away anyways a lot of the time. And for their sake of survival clipping them is just safer. That's my opinion
I'm all for clipping anything that can fly if it means keeping them in my yard.

-Kathy

Quote: I've had a couple get spooked and fly off and not return. One of those was hit by a car...
sad.png

-Kathy

My Metzer Farms Mallard hen, she's about 4 months old now, her sister flew away a month ago, but this one prefers to stay home, she is a good flyer, but not as good as her sister was.
She's a very large duck, and though she can fly fairly well, she's to big to easily gain altitude.

She's darn near but not quite rouen sized, but still retains the racy mallard physique. Will breed her to a smaller mallard colored drake next year and have some nice domesticated flying mallards. :D.

Back
Top Bottom