MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

My mallard girls are approaching 8 months old, and I expect they will start laying in the spring. Are mallards seasonal layers? If I remove the egg every day, will they keep laying and egg a day? Just curious.

My mallard girls are approaching 8 months old, and I expect they will start laying in the spring. Are mallards seasonal layers? If I remove the egg every day, will they keep laying and egg a day? Just curious.

Mallards are native to most countries in the Northern Hemispheres. It is thought that all domestic ducks except Muscovy are derived from the wild Mallard, or "Greenhead" as some call them. They are a small, flying duck that is hunted widely. Our Mallards retain this excellent flying ability. In addition, they do an excellent job of hatching and raising one or two broods of ducklings a year. Mallards start to fly for short spurts at 10-12 weeks and are flying very well by 16 weeks. It is also at about 14-16 weeks that the males get their beautiful coloring - prior to that both the males and females are similarly colored in shades of brown.

Mallards are native to most countries in the Northern Hemispheres. It is thought that all domestic ducks except Muscovy are derived from the wild Mallard, or "Greenhead" as some call them. They are a small, flying duck that is hunted widely. Our Mallards retain this excellent flying ability. In addition, they do an excellent job of hatching and raising one or two broods of ducklings a year. Mallards start to fly for short spurts at 10-12 weeks and are flying very well by 16 weeks. It is also at about 14-16 weeks that the males get their beautiful coloring - prior to that both the males and females are similarly colored in shades of brown.
Okay, thanks. I have mallards, so I'm pretty familiar with them except for their egg laying. I'm wondering how prolific they are for laying, if they only lay for a couple months, or if they will keep laying an egg every day like my other domestic ducks. I can't wait to see their eggs.

They are seasonal layers, the "wild" mallards that live in my town have one or two nests per year, depending on how many ducklings from their first nest survive. I think they lay an egg every day until they have a nest full and then they start brooding. But I don't know how they react if you take away all the eggs.

My girls are showing up with down/fluffs on their bill. Are they making a nest? It's way too early for them to start laying
sad.png
You could check if they are molting. It seems the the fluffy area right in front of the wing but a little lower down is where the new feathers come in first.

he is a male mallerd swishes crested mix. I just got him. I new to duck would please help me care for his needs. He has a female who came with him. Wild both. They fly away in winter and came to past owners house in spring. They will be in pen. There sharing with chicken at the moment that can be closed in two areas if need. The other is Swedish crested duck wild partally blind. Help please

They are a cute couple. What do you need help with? Clipping the wing feathers will prevent the ducks from flying. If you have a lot of questions you could open your own thread

Back
Top Bottom