MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

I don't think it's a matter of whether he can fertilize, so much as it is if he wants to. I don't think he will somehow become sterile in his eclipse plumage, but his, ahem, manly urges may be lacking somewhat. My two cents anyway ;)

Last edited:
I don't, NathanZee, our boy is not in nuptial plumage right now, and we don't incubate the eggs from his girls..When they can get outside on a mild day, though, he does mate with them.

I don't think it's a matter of whether he can fertilize, so much as it is if he wants to. I don't think he will somehow become sterile in his eclipse plumage, but his, ahem, manly urges may be lacking somewhat. My two cents anyway
wink.png
Thank you both! Apparently some drakes retain the breeding instinct while in eclipse. I will check some of the eggs before I incubate to see if they are fertile, I really hope they are!

tracyjg
I noticed the eithen my male takes his time making sure hope gets around he guides her around the pen. What kind of veggies do you feed your ducks?

Thank you both! Apparently some drakes retain the breeding instinct while in eclipse. I will check some of the eggs before I incubate to see if they are fertile, I really hope they are! 

From what I learned drakes "make love" to their partner all year long. That is what the children's book about ducks said :p

tracyjg
I noticed the eithen my male takes his time making sure hope gets around he guides her around the pen. What kind of veggies do you feed your ducks?

That is so sweet of him! I give my ducks peas, and I've fed them endive when they were younger. It was cut so it's easier to slobber. Here is a thread that lists the veggies ducks can have: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

Hi All! TI posted in one of the other threads, but didn't get much response so I thought I'd repost here... I just joined the site seeing how I can't find much of anything about having ducks as pets!

I saved two 6 month old mallard drakes from some pretty awful conditions - I've had them for about a month now, and everything has been great until recently. They were hatched and raised together, and there are no hens, nor have they ever been with hens. Their names are Max and Shadow. I feed them through their pen, they are still a bit wary... I'm hoping to be able to hand feed them soon!

The past few days they have both been doing this neck quiver thing, and then whenever I feed them some meal worms or something special (other than pellets), Shadow attacks Max. This only happens if I feed them, not my boyfriend or my dad who they just met. I've read a little on here that they could be wanting to mate with me, which is flattering I suppose but kind of awkward - they are my newly adopted sons! But I also read that they feel more comfortable around me, and are wary/scared of my dad and boyfriend?

Any advice or help is appreciated, there isn't too much on the internet about ducks! Thank you again!

My babies! I know my khaki is a girl, she's peep quacking, the runner and this little cutie I'm not sure. Time will only tell!
They are cute! If you would post a picture of the mallard closer up, and maybe focused on the tail, I can give you a 75% accurate guess on the gender.

Hi All! TI posted in one of the other threads, but didn't get much response so I thought I'd repost here... I just joined the site seeing how I can't find much of anything about having ducks as pets!

I saved two 6 month old mallard drakes from some pretty awful conditions - I've had them for about a month now, and everything has been great until recently. They were hatched and raised together, and there are no hens, nor have they ever been with hens. Their names are Max and Shadow. I feed them through their pen, they are still a bit wary... I'm hoping to be able to hand feed them soon!

The past few days they have both been doing this neck quiver thing, and then whenever I feed them some meal worms or something special (other than pellets), Shadow attacks Max. This only happens if I feed them, not my boyfriend or my dad who they just met. I've read a little on here that they could be wanting to mate with me, which is flattering I suppose but kind of awkward - they are my newly adopted sons! But I also read that they feel more comfortable around me, and are wary/scared of my dad and boyfriend?

Any advice or help is appreciated, there isn't too much on the internet about ducks! Thank you again!
That's nice of you to rescue them! By neck quiver, do you mean they are bobbing their heads up and down? Bobbing means they want to mate. Fighting is pretty normal among drakes, they have to establish who is in charge. They may also be fighting over who gets to pair up with you, that's why they don't do it with your dad and boyfriend. If you could find a few female ducks for them (any breed will work), they would be very very happy. We would love to see pictures of them, and
welcome-byc.gif

They are cute! If you would post a picture of the mallard closer up, and maybe focused on the tail, I can give you a 75% accurate guess on the gender.

That's nice of you to rescue them! By neck quiver, do you mean they are bobbing their heads up and down? Bobbing means they want to mate. Fighting is pretty normal among drakes, they have to establish who is in charge. They may also be fighting over who gets to pair up with you, that's why they don't do it with your dad and boyfriend. If you could find a few female ducks for them (any breed will work), they would be very very happy. We would love to see pictures of them, and
welcome-byc.gif

Hey NathanZee, thanks for writing back! They do do the head bob, but this is more of a shaking.. but its only apparent in their neck. When we first got them Shadow (on the left) was the follower and Max (on the right) was the dominant bird.. but as of recent this has changed and Shadow has been trying to get Max. I'm not even sre I would call it "fighting" but he will bite at him and chase him around a little! Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
My ducks also shiver/shake their head and it makes them look angry :0 Sometimes they proceed by pecking or a launch attack lol

My drakes are acting very nasty right now, like the pecking and chasing each other and other females. It's the season.

Max and Shadow are pretty! :love

Hey NathanZee, thanks for writing back! They do do the head bob, but this is more of a shaking.. but its only apparent in their neck. When we first got them Shadow (on the right) was the follower and Max (on the left) was the dominant bird.. but as of recent this has changed and Shadow has been trying to get Max. I'm not even sre I would call it "fighting" but he will bite at him and chase him around a little! Thanks for the tips!

Hmm, I'm not really sure what the shaking is, but it seems a lot of peoples ducks do it so it must be fine! I hope they stop chasing each other and calm down! They are gorgeous ducks! Is Max missing some of the webbing on his right foot?

Back
Top Bottom