Malposistioned and drying membrane

Congrats on helping out your stuck chick. Can anyone help me? I assisted a chick yesterday who had pipped externally then made no progress for over 24 hours. The membrane was sticking to the chick. I believe I rushed the assist process because even tho there was no blood there was a bit of yolk. Now the chick is a matted chick and cannot open its eyes. I tried gently cleaning it yesterday with warm water but didn't want it out of bator too long. Any help for this chick? It's really trying to hang in there.

No idea in afraid. This little chick did not make it sadly I just went downstairs and he/she has assumed the dead chick position and not breathing. As sad as it is I'm glad it got a chance to play with the other chicks.

Congrats on helping out your stuck chick. Can anyone help me? I assisted a chick yesterday who had pipped externally then made no progress for over 24 hours. The membrane was sticking to the chick. I believe I rushed the assist process because even tho there was no blood there was a bit of yolk. Now the chick is a matted chick and cannot open its eyes. I tried gently cleaning it yesterday with warm water but didn't want it out of bator too long. Any help for this chick? It's really trying to hang in there.

I would wash it under warm water (skin temperature or 98-99F), holding the head out of the water. you can clean the head and around the eyes with a wet q-tip, before dipping the body since it might get cold sitting out of the water while wet.

you can dry the chick with a blow dryer if you have one. I use the diffuser so it makes the air softer. I alternate between hot and cold settings using the skin on my hand to feel if it's getting too hot. I would put the chick back in the incubator if it's still wet or damp, not the brooder. it needs to dry off in the warm enclosed draft-free area.

if you have chick vitamins on hand, I would give 2 or 3 drops in the edge of the beak. a couple brands are Poly Vi Sol or NutriDrench. this will help replace any nutrients lost from lack of yolk absorption.

if the navel is unformed at all, or bloody, you can keep the area clean and sterile by putting neosporin/antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) on the navel.

No idea in afraid. This little chick did not make it sadly I just went downstairs and he/she has assumed the dead chick position and not breathing. As sad as it is I'm glad it got a chance to play with the other chicks.

aww....
hugs.gif
I am so sorry to hear that! he/she was a cutie... I am glad you have the other chicks to keep you occupied. it probably had something wrong with it internally
sad.png

Last edited:
I would wash it under warm water (skin temperature or 98-99F), holding the head out of the water. you can clean the head and around the eyes with a wet q-tip, before dipping the body since it might get cold sitting out of the water while wet.

you can dry the chick with a blow dryer if you have one. I use the diffuser so it makes the air softer. I alternate between hot and cold settings using the skin on my hand to feel if it's getting too hot. I would put the chick back in the incubator if it's still wet or damp, not the brooder. it needs to dry off in the warm enclosed draft-free area.

if you have chick vitamins on hand, I would give 2 or 3 drops in the edge of the beak. a couple brands are Poly Vi Sol or NutriDrench. this will help replace any nutrients lost from lack of yolk absorption.

if the navel is unformed at all, or bloody, you can keep the area clean and sterile by putting neosporin/antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever) on the navel.

I think it must of but I'm glad I helped it still and know that I did everything I could for him/her

Thank you for the help. I did a bit of washing and dipped her beak in some electrolyte vitamin h2o. She is on her feet some now with eyes open. I will pick up the vitamins as soon as i can leave tonight. Again, thank you for the advice.

I think it must of but I'm glad I helped it still and know that I did everything I could for him/her

yes you did, and you also have the experience and knowledge to know when to help a chick the next time
smile.png
there is always a bright side!

Thank you for the help. I did a bit of washing and dipped her beak in some electrolyte vitamin h2o. She is on her feet some now with eyes open. I will pick up the vitamins as soon as i can leave tonight. Again, thank you for the advice.

youre very welcome, good call on the electrolyte vitamin water, it sounds like that helped her perk up too. keep us posted
fl.gif

Very sorry to hear you lost your little chick. Indeed, you did give it a chance at life and that's all any of us can ask for.

youre very welcome, good call on the electrolyte vitamin water, it sounds like that helped her perk up too. keep us posted
fl.gif
Day 2 and she is still with us. She is staying in the incubator and the other 5 are in a brooder. They are just too much for her right now. More stable on her feet and definitely more active moving around the incubator. I wasn't able to get the vit in my tiny town, but have given her more of the electrolyte/vit water. I will be getting the Poly Vi Sol today. I know she is not out of the woods, but am really hoping she makes it. She is a Blue Eng Orp and her daddy, Azul, is just gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom