MAMA Heating Pad....I'm getting cold feet!

poulet2016

Chirping
May 31, 2016
Hi there,
I've been researching the Mama Heating Pad and convinced myself that was the way I wanted to go this time around with raising my chicks.
I built it today...and I think it's working the way it should. I'll be getting my chicks in 2 days. The only thing is..I'm getting a little bit nervous about
1. the safety of using it
2. actually starting them out in the coop when it's still so cold out (might snow on Thursday night!).

Are they really much safer than heating lamps? I think all the warnings on the sunbeam heating pad I opened today "do not sleep with, do not use with animals, do not use with metal clips!" freaked me out a bit. Also, I've never been comfortable using an extension cord from the house out to my coop...even though, people do it, right?!

and #2...have you all started them out in your coops in such cold weather (in the 30s at night) and they've been ok?

Really excited...just...nervous.

Any advice from the pros is appreciated.

thanks,
Val

I used the MHP set on medium for the first week, lowered it to the next setting the 2nd week. By the 3rd week it was off. I have been brooding in my bathroom but the large window in there is opened from about 7am to 9pm. Daytime temps have been 30-45 night temps 30 ish. They are doing great and will move out this weekend. They will be 4 weeks old on Thursday.

I was very nervous as well, for all the same reasons you listed.

So far it's been great though, as long as you do not puncture a y of the elements of the pad you should be safe!

I use a big dog crate to brood and set mine up so that it was against the wall so no cording is reachable for them to peck.

I also have it hanging by twine osntead of laying directly on anything, with just a simple hand towel over it.

I am on week 2-ish and I now turn it off during the day and keep it on medium at night.

Hopefully this helps put your mind at ease. Waaay safer than the bulbs in my mind.

I was very nervous as well, for all the same reasons you listed.

So far it's been great though, as long as you do not puncture a y of the elements of the pad you should be safe!

I use a big dog crate to brood and set mine up so that it was against the wall so no cording is reachable for them to peck.

I also have it hanging by twine osntead of laying directly on anything, with just a simple hand towel over it.

I am on week 2-ish and I now turn it off during the day and keep it on medium at night.

Hopefully this helps put your mind at ease. Waaay safer than the bulbs in my mind.
Thank you! I really just need some good success stories to keep me going! Sounds promising!

I used the MHP set on medium for the first week, lowered it to the next setting the 2nd week. By the 3rd week it was off. I have been brooding in my bathroom but the large window in there is opened from about 7am to 9pm. Daytime temps have been 30-45 night temps 30 ish. They are doing great and will move out this weekend. They will be 4 weeks old on Thursday.
That's amazing! I'm so happy to hear they've been fine in those temps. Thanks so much for responding.

I have only used MHP. I love it. I use it for my incubator hatched chicks, so I keep them in the house for awhile to be sure they know where heat is are eating drinking and have no issues.
My first batch I waited until 4 weeks to put them out in dog crate with MHP but I won’t do that again at 13 weeks they are still not fully integrated with my flock. My second hatch I put out at 2 weeks (plan was 1 week but we got sub zero temperatures so I held off), it was 30-40’s during day and down to teens at night and they thrived. After a few days they were squeezing in and out of the bars of the dog kennel and mingling with the flock most of the day. My flock paid them no mind at all. But they had the safety of the the crate to get away and food and water if needed. They would go back in crate under MHP for naps and at night to sleep.
00E669EF-F5BA-4D75-B801-8C6E3664E684.png
7ADCA105-D337-4C7D-9DFE-93C9ECCDBAC2.jpeg

Last edited:
I start my brooding inside in a ~60F° room, then move them out to the coop at about 1 week after hatch. I open the window in the brooder room for a couple/few days before moving them outside.

I do use a heat lamp(100W red reptile light on a dimmer cord) over the feed/water station during the day for the first few days, just to make sure they all are eating drinking and moving well. Turn the lamp off late afternoon and make sure they all make their way under the heating pad.

The MHP is a learning curve....takes time to get used to operating it.
Can be a challenge to get the chicks to stay under there too,
gotta hold them under they until the 'feel the heat',
but once they 'get it' it's good to go.

I went thru several design iterations before being satisfied with it's function and operation.
Adjustable legs are most helpful.
Height of pad needs to be easily adjustable as the chicks being able to easily touch their backs to pad is key.
Being able to tip pad up to look underneath, without having to rebuild the thing, is important too.

Are they really much safer than heating lamps?
The device it itself is safer, IMO, but the power route is where you can run into safety issues. I have an outdoor rated heavy duty extension cord running from the GFCI outdoor receptacle out the the coop(~50'), then a power strip, then an extension cord to the MHP. All cords are protected from weather and chicken access, I clean any dust from each connection regularly.

I start my brooding in my garage which is under the bedroom end of my house. Depending on the quality of chicks: (Home hatched = little Kung Fu Warriors who can conquer any occasion. Hatchery chicks = May be some failure to thrive chicks, need NICU care, and I'm checking them as often as several times/hour.) They may get 48 hours to a week or more of special care in the garage (in an appliance box). Then they are moved to the grow out coop.

I use a construction grade extension cord with weather proof GFCI outlet at the house and surge protector at the coop. I am convinced that the heating pad is safer than a heat lamp. Of course, you must use common sense. Check the pad and cord for any unusual warm spots, don't crimp pad or cord. I also tape the connection of pad to it's cord securely with electrical tape.

Back
Top Bottom