Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

[/IMG][/IMG]
This is my heating pad cave. $2 for the foam cooler, $12 for the heating pad and used paracord to hold the heating pad in place. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'd lower the pad and open up the other end so they can enter from both ends like they would a hen. No real need to elevate one end so much higher than the other if wanting to mimic a hen's belly, she usually doesn't stand upright like that when trying to warm chicks. If you open up both ends no chicks get mashed back in the corner.

I think I'd be concerned about those edges on the foam....look mighty "peckable" to me, and chicks can't resist pecking at anything. I'm not sure what the benefit is to using a foam box rather than a frame, but if it's what you have on hand then you go with it. Can you drape something over the opening to hang down a bit so they have to scoot under it to get inside? It would block out more light and they like that "ducking under" when they get a little spooked. I like how you did the cardboard around the edges of the brooder cage. You'll be really glad you did that! And for cryin' out loud, don't forget pictures of those babies! It's required here, you know!

I have never had issues with any birds that pecked at styrofoam and actually had an "old timer" tell me that he throws in a bit of styrofoam during molt, says it helps them grow feathers back and get back to laying faster. I have seen his chickens personally and they were nice, shiny and healthy.

Edges have been taped over I was already concerned about it but had to go buy the tape. I am also laying a heating pad that doesn't get super hot under some savings next to the cave.

Puppy pad is just for first two days after that I will put shavings all throughout the brooder and pad is lowered. I think it will be good. I will get a longer heating pad and drape it and open the other end.

Here's my heater. I got the pad from Sunbeam. It has no auto off feature, so stays on continuously. If the power should go out, it will come back on once power is restored without me having to manually turn it on. I have the pad bunjied to a cookie rack, with metal, threaded rods for the legs. I just screw it up or down to raise or lower it. Very easy. I really like this since I can adjust the temp. My Premier heat plate is great for winter, but when its hot outside, it really is too much for our Texas summers.

Sitting on the kitchen table on high, the temp gets to about 84 degrees. I held it directly against the pad for about 10 min and it got to 100.

Here it is out in the coop. Of course, my not so Littles had to check it out. I put a kitchen towel over the top, then shavings. I have the flap pulled up. Shavings are piled up at the back, but both sides are open for easy access or escape. I have the back tilted lower than the front.

Here it is in use. I finally got my Crested Legbars yesterday. They seem to like it. I have Teenies, 2 days old, and Tinys, 2 weeks old. The Teenies really like it. They scooted right under when I put them down in front of it. They had been under a heat lamp.

The Tinys, I don't think they need it much. They do enjoy jumping around on the top of it.

I'll see how they liked it when I go and check on them this morning. It's just now starting to get light outside.

Here's my heater. I got the pad from Sunbeam. It has no auto off feature, so stays on continuously. If the power should go out, it will come back on once power is restored without me having to manually turn it on. I have the pad bunjied to a cookie rack, with metal, threaded rods for the legs. I just screw it up or down to raise or lower it. Very easy. I really like this since I can adjust the temp. My Premier heat plate is great for winter, but when its hot outside, it really is too much for our Texas summers.

Sitting on the kitchen table on high, the temp gets to about 84 degrees. I held it directly against the pad for about 10 min and it got to 100.

Here it is out in the coop. Of course, my not so Littles had to check it out. I put a kitchen towel over the top, then shavings. I have the flap pulled up. Shavings are piled up at the back, but both sides are open for easy access or escape. I have the back tilted lower than the front.

Here it is in use. I finally got my Crested Legbars yesterday. They seem to like it. I have Teenies, 2 days old, and Tinys, 2 weeks old. The Teenies really like it. They scooted right under when I put them down in front of it. They had been under a heat lamp.

The Tinys, I don't think they need it much. They do enjoy jumping around on the top of it.

I'll see how they liked it when I go and check on them this morning. It's just now starting to get light outside.
Brilliant using all thread for the legs... Infinately adjustable....

deb

Great setup!!! Wish my heating pads would come back on when the electric goes off...that was the biggest drawback of this method for brooding chicks and also in hatching eggs with the pad. The electric can blip off here and come back on in seconds and this can happen day or night, so it's a gamble to use the HP here for these purposes, especially when it's very cold.

Back
Top Bottom