Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Okay, I've kind of calmed down. I've change the chicks splints to vet tape. They seemed a fraction better after spending the day in their chick chair so I guess I'm a little bit hopeful as long as they don't give up and still eat and drink.

This is a picture I took before I changed their splint so you can see what I mean. Without the splints they sit like this. With the splints they flop forward. I can't tell if it's one or both legs so I put the tape on both. I realise I was woefully unprepared for things to go wrong. At the moment I have them in a tub inside, using a reptile pad underneath all the paper towels and the top of the incubator resting on a wire rack on the top of the tub for heat. I also have the top of the tub half covered with a thin blanket. They all seem to be happy and we haven't had anyone else succumb. Even the one I suspected was developing this is walking around fine.

I hope I'm making the right call here. I was at a Drs appt and didn't get home till after dark to lock up. I assumed the chicks would be under their mph and the chickens would be sleeping in the coop. Well the chicks were all mixed in sleeping with the big chickens. (I have silkies so they don't roost but sleep in a big heap on the floor). The chicks weren't even huddled together. One chick was under one silkie and another was under a different one and so on. So I left them. I'll check on them in a couple hours but all look snug and cozy...one big family. The chicks are 4 & 5 weeks old. Will they be warm enough without the mph if they have the big silkies?

If the silkies want to brood the chicks, why not! Even more natural than MHP.

I realise I was woefully unprepared for things to go wrong.

None of us are Lavender! I have been VERY lucky with the day old chicks I got. A couple 3 years ago had poopy butt (heat lamp raised in the house in a bathtub), easily resolved with wet Q-tips. No issues at all with the 7 I got this June that were broody raised.

Don't beat yourself up, especially since a quick check with Google says slipped tendons are a dietary thing and it is not the food YOU fed them but the state of the hen that laid the eggs.

I hope you can get them all fixed up, but if not, remember it is NOT something you did or did not do.

I'm not too happy at the moment. I thought I did everything right, had it all set up properly in preparation and it looked like everyone else's but two of them and possibly a third look like they have slipped tendons. I feel sick at the thought of culling but I don't want to torture them with a slow death :(

Are you sure it's a slipped tendon and not splayed legs? Have you tried to pop it back in place? I had my first chick with this last month. You have to gently hold the chick on his back in your hand and then with the other hand lift him up by the shanks. The chick will hang there for a minute and then they will pull up to try to right themselves. This motion and the gravity can be enough to slip the tendon back in place. Have you read the chick podiatry website? I can find the link if you need. Good luck. It's such a sad thing! :hugs

If the silkies want to brood the chicks, why not! Even more natural than MHP.

They are doing a great job!! The chicks have been off heat and sleeping cuddled with the silkies for 3 nights! This has been easier then I ever imagined!! So greatful for everyone's experience and wisdom!

Ruby, I'm so glad it worked out so well for you! It really is the easiest way to raise chicks ever!
wink.png

Are you sure it's a slipped tendon and not splayed legs? Have you tried to pop it back in place? I had my first chick with this last month. You have to gently hold the chick on his back in your hand and then with the other hand lift him up by the shanks. The chick will hang there for a minute and then they will pull up to try to right themselves. This motion and the gravity can be enough to slip the tendon back in place. Have you read the chick podiatry website? I can find the link if you need. Good luck. It's such a sad thing!
hugs.gif

Maybe it was splayed legs because today, after having their legs splinted for almost 2 days they seem so much better. I've taken the splints off, they've both been a bit wobbly and one was walking backwards more than it was forwards at first. I'm keeping them separate from the rest of the chicks and I'm about to read up more on splayed legs. I don't want to take the splints off too soon so I need to find out if I'm doing the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom