Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

thumbsup.gif

I don't know what you have for lights in the brooder room but I would suggest the following:
- if you have multiple lights that can be turned on and off individually, turn off one, wait 5 or 10 minutes (just winging it here), then turn off another, and another. Turn the night light off last.
- if you don't have that, replace the switch with a dimmer (one appropriate for the type of bulbs you have) and do the same thing. Turn it down some, come back later, turn it down some more, etc

- reverse in the morning

Single bulb in ceiling operated by a chain pull. Yeah, they're just going to have to tough it out until they get to the coop!

After I posted yesterday, I wanted to give a quick update. Of course our chicks were just fine. I did turn MHP down to Low heat and made it arch a little higher in the middle. They mostly seemed to like sitting on top of or beside it when they want to take a nap during the day, but when we started turning lights off last night everybody scooted right underneath. I know they were under a heat lamp at their breeder, so I'm pretty impressed at how quickly they adapted to this.

They are all looking great this morning. Here's Mittens:

Good to know that they made the transition from heat lamp to HP without difficulty. I was wondering how that was going for people.

I am going to be getting my babies in about a month, got my correct pad all ready, will be boosting in the coop. Question is: any suggestions of other threads to follow for more natural ways of raising the peeps? There are just so many threads!
As PP stated, the Natural Chicken Keeping Thread is a good place to start. Other things you can research: natural methods of increasing immunity (early exposure to soil from your yard, fermented feed) natural control of parasites, both internal and external, promoting natural Marek's immunity by exposure to native turkey populations, deep litter both in the coop and in the run, fermented feed, the many benefits of heating pad brooding, and early chick integration into the flock, using poultry for insect and weed control in the garden, obviously using chicken compost in garden and yard. Read The Small-Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery. Enjoy. IMO, the education component of poultry keeping is as enjoyable as the chickens themselves.

Hey Bruce, I forget: your chicks last year, were they hatchery birds fostered to a broody, or did you get hatching eggs?

Last edited:
This weekend DH built a brooder out of some 2x4s and a tarp. The chicks are digging the extra space - it has 15 square feet of floor space and is 3 feet high so they can't fly out. They're only a week and already spending most of their time on top of the MHP. Enjoy the pics!

Last edited:
I am anxiously waiting to hear if my chicks will ship Tuesday! I am getting everything ready, I have two possible setups for my MHP and wanted to see what people think. Here is the bare frame (a refrigerator produce basket.)

I was intending to fully encase it with cloth, but was wondering about only wrapping the middle to allow three entry/exit sides. Do the leg frames on the side pose too much of a chick-a-cide risk? They are two inches from the middle rails.

I have gathered Apple Cider Vinegar, feeders, waterers, food, grit, bedding, Sav-A-Chick (electrolytes and probiotics) and my brooder is a 40" square cardboard onion bin that is 30" deep. Is there anything else I need besides chicks? Oh, and the coop. The weather has gotten better so we need to go prepare the yard area for the coop, but the floor and walls are framed.

Thanks!
Carrie

Last edited:
This weekend DH built a brooder out of some 2x4s and a tarp. The chicks are digging the extra space - it has 15 square feet of floor space and is 3 feet high so they can't fly out. They're only a week and already spending most of their time on top of the MHP. Enjoy the pics!

I love this... KISS build.... You could easily do it out of PVC unglued same tarp.

deb

@ashleymroles

YOu have inspired me

When I start I will brood in the coop. I need to leave building things that are permanent for other projects. Since I will be doing Guinea Fowl the brooder needs to be big and secure. little jack-booters can shoot up several feet by week two..

So my list...
2- heating pads for 40 maybe only one large one. summer night time temps are only in the seventies.
5-one inch diameter by ten feet .. Schedule 40 pvc pipe 4.40 ea
8- corner pieces one inch ..... I already have from another build.
2- rolls plastic poultry fence.... 2 x 25 foot long 15.50 each

By the way the cage wire lenght is an estimate.... dont cut it till its stretched and fastened.

Assemble pvc NO glue
zip tie plastic cage wire and stretch it some in the process.
dont bother about doors till you get it put to gether

There will be two pieces of cage wire left each will be appx six feet long. you can either trim it off or roll it at the ends. for when you disassemble it for other projects.

once assembled the Wire will hold the PVC together.

Now you can cut access ports for food and water and cleaning if necessary..
Cleaning is easy . just lift it up and set aside and vacuum with a shop vac.
I use rice hulls they are easy.

in the coop I would just lift and spread out then add more.

deb

edited to add... Guinea Keets are all about screech and run or fly. They dont tame down like chicks. So I am not concerned about messin with them once they go in the brooder. Only that they are safe from self destruction and Escape.

Last edited:
@ashleymroles YOu have inspired me When I start I will brood in the coop. I need to leave building things that are permanent for other projects. Since I will be doing Guinea Fowl the brooder needs to be big and secure. little jack-booters can shoot up several feet by week two.. So my list... 2- heating pads for 40 maybe only one large one. summer night time temps are only in the seventies. 5-one inch diameter by ten feet .. Schedule 40 pvc pipe 4.40 ea 8- corner pieces one inch ..... I already have from another build. 2- rolls plastic poultry fence.... 2 x 25 foot long 15.50 each By the way the cage wire lenght is an estimate.... dont cut it till its stretched and fastened. Assemble pvc NO glue zip tie plastic cage wire and stretch it some in the process. dont bother about doors till you get it put to gether There will be two pieces of cage wire left each will be appx six feet long. you can either trim it off or roll it at the ends. for when you disassemble it for other projects. once assembled the Wire will hold the PVC together. Now you can cut access ports for food and water and cleaning if necessary.. Cleaning is easy . just lift it up and set aside and vacuum with a shop vac. I use rice hulls they are easy. in the coop I would just lift and spread out then add more. deb edited to add... Guinea Keets are all about screech and run or fly. They dont tame down like chicks. So I am not concerned about messin with them once they go in the brooder. Only that they are safe from self destruction and Escape.
Great idea! When they're done with the brooder you can always use the material for roosts or make some pvc feeders or waterers. The only downfall to my brooder is that I have to take down one side to get in there for cleaning or loving on the chicks. But with Guineas you won't have to worry about that. Good luck!
I love this... KISS build.... You could easily do it out of PVC unglued same tarp. deb
It was so easy! I'm sure it would be even cheaper with pvc. We built the whole thing with wood for less than $50 and we'll reuse the wood for the coop.

@ashleymroles

YOu have inspired me

When I start I will brood in the coop. I need to leave building things that are permanent for other projects. Since I will be doing Guinea Fowl the brooder needs to be big and secure. little jack-booters can shoot up several feet by week two..

So my list...
2- heating pads for 40 maybe only one large one. summer night time temps are only in the seventies.
5-one inch diameter by ten feet .. Schedule 40 pvc pipe 4.40 ea
8- corner pieces one inch ..... I already have from another build.
2- rolls plastic poultry fence.... 2 x 25 foot long 15.50 each

By the way the cage wire lenght is an estimate.... dont cut it till its stretched and fastened.

Assemble pvc NO glue
zip tie plastic cage wire and stretch it some in the process.
dont bother about doors till you get it put to gether

There will be two pieces of cage wire left each will be appx six feet long. you can either trim it off or roll it at the ends. for when you disassemble it for other projects.

once assembled the Wire will hold the PVC together.

Now you can cut access ports for food and water and cleaning if necessary..
Cleaning is easy . just lift it up and set aside and vacuum with a shop vac.
I use rice hulls they are easy.

in the coop I would just lift and spread out then add more.

deb

edited to add... Guinea Keets are all about screech and run or fly. They dont tame down like chicks. So I am not concerned about messin with them once they go in the brooder. Only that they are safe from self destruction and Escape.

X2 on the Keets..

I caught a Gunea in a nest box today. They normally lay the first few on top of the chicken eggs, before hiding them "only heaven knows where"...

They are so wild, I think they will break their little necks hitting the sides of the brooders..

I set eggs today, turkey and chicken.. 103 total, I might need to make another MHP.

It was so easy! I'm sure it would be even cheaper with pvc. We built the whole thing with wood for less than $50 and we'll reuse the wood for the coop.

I am somewhat disabled. I get about with a roll walker most times. So in my case the easier the better for building things. And LIGHTER the better. Handling a wheelbarrow is not in my skill set. but using my Rolling walker and dragging a wagon is.

My new coop (poultry house) will have a work space where I can build and utilize without having to cross the yard.

deb

Back
Top Bottom