Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

One of the heating pads I am using is just high-med-low. Chicks seemed to prefer high the first week, but after that Med has been fine. The other heating pad actually is just on or off- it is about the same temp as the other on Med. I added it after the first week as the chicks outgrew just one. The Chicks at just over two weeks use both equally!

Hi I did this and my chicks will be one month old on the 10th of March. I turn it off during the day and turn it back on at night time because I am in South Ga and its warming up nicely here. Last night was 38 and hopefully that will be the last of 30 degree weather. I am wondering at what point did you completely take out the heating pad and let them be without the heat..did you go by age or weather? This was the first days. They are much bigger now and most of them roost on top...at night. I only have it on number 4 now so it keeps it in the 70's thanks

@TexasLisa
 :jumpy  I was bitten by the chicken bug even before I actually got my chicks. I fell in love with them the moment I got them. I am fascinated by them, and so is my once reluctant DH! He fusses over them more than I do. I do have to remind him that a piece of straw floating in their water is not a reason to clean out a pail that was just washed that morning... they do spend their days digging in the dirt looking for bugs. :lau  They are really funny when they come up to me with their mud hanging off of their beaks! :weee

I am so happy to be a chicken crazy lady!

Mine like to come up to me and use me as their napkin! Especially my Barred Rock, May! They all used to mob me and peck me and most still do but May now just comes up and wipes her beak on me! LOL

Does that Lo-med-hi pad have an auto shut off over ride? or does it not have one? I could not tell by looking at the product URL info.

For you chick crazy people I have joined "Incubators Anonymous" thread her on BYC. It has helped me, I am down to 200 eggs in my incubator now...

Amen to that!!
gig.gif

Ignore the reviews. If you look at them, you'll see that people are citing a different model number than the one in the ad.

I HATE when people do that. Is it SO hard to review the product you bought????? The other "irritant" is when people answer a question with "I don't know". What a waste of a few bytes on the hard drive. I wonder if that happens because when Amazon sends an email asking you to answer a question you have 2 choices - answer and "I don't know". I wonder if choosing the second one submits that AS an answer rather than doing nothing. I've made option 3 - delete the email.

Oh Cool!! I might have to try one of them, they are half price of the others,,,and us old retired people need to save every penny we can.

Ralphie, if you have 200 eggs in the 'bater, I think you should get a volume discount on a BUNCH of pads!

Back
Top Bottom