Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Was gonna ask anyway and since it got mentioned about someone culling only for personality and the flock being better off..

I have a really mean chicken that my dad wants me to cull but then I thought maybe it was our fault since they outgrew the brooder and we didn't rmove them for a week and then now they outgrew the coop so like I wanted to wait till we build the new coop and run (which should be soon, we already bought the wood) so I keep thinking well maybe it is lack of space and maybe she will change. But the thing is is that even the few times I let them free range she is still mean to the others. Flies out of nowhere and attacks my poor buff orps. And she has pecked me both in the gums and the eye. The orps are terrified.

Was gonna ask anyway and since it got mentioned about someone culling only for personality and the flock being better off..

I have a really mean chicken that my dad wants me to cull but then I thought maybe it was our fault since they outgrew the brooder and we didn't rmove them for a week and then now they outgrew the coop so like I wanted to wait till we build the new coop and run (which should be soon, we already bought the wood) so I keep thinking well maybe it is lack of space and maybe she will change. But the thing is is that even the few times I let them free range she is still mean to the others. Flies out of nowhere and attacks my poor buff orps. And she has pecked me both in the gums and the eye. The orps are terrified.

Just cull. Your fault or not (not your fault) do you really want to continue to be attacked? She won't stop.

Just cull. Your fault or not (not your fault) do you really want to continue to be attacked? She won't stop.

Kill it.  It lacks proper social skills and it will pass those along to its offspring.  Meanwhile, all the time she's in the flock she's causing your birds to be stressed....stressed birds are birds more prone to illness and parasites. 

That is very true. Fortunately, we have no roos so her genes won't be getting passed along but I think we will just cull her. The weird thing is sometimes she and the others seem to get along but I am sure they are stressed out. I was holding an Orpington the other day and she came out of nowhere and pecked her hard on the head! I shooed her off then gave chase. She ran away but later came back and did it again. Gave chase again. The poor Orp then settled into my lap and did not want to leave once she realized I would protect her. I think it is jist one chicken but we have 2 Black Australorps so I can't really tell for sure. She's only 24 or 25 weeks old so should I wait for her to grow out some more or just kill it ASAP?

Last edited:
I do believe I jinxed myself. Went down to tuck in the chicks that I haven't kicked outside yet and I could hear one of the buff cochin bantams breathing from across the room. Caught her up, felt the rattle in the chest. Opened the mouth and there's phlegmmy stuff in the back. They always do this when the stores are closed, don't they? Luckily I've already been caught out and had some oxytetracycline powder in my emergency kit so started her on that...apparently Tylan 50 is better according to my searches, but it will have to do until morning. Have her in a small animal carrier that I could set in the brooder with everybody else...she was panicking being away from the flock. Since they're all likely exposed already anyway :idunno

I'll probably do a full brooder clean out tomorrow too...just in case some of the bedding has gotten moldy or something. Yay.

Kill it.  It lacks proper social skills and it will pass those along to its offspring.  Meanwhile, all the time she's in the flock she's causing your birds to be stressed....stressed birds are birds more prone to illness and parasites. 

That is very true. Fortunately, we have no roos so her genes won't be getting passed along but I think we will just cull her. The weird thing is sometimes she and the others seem to get along but I am sure they are stressed out. I was holding an Orpington the other day and she came out of nowhere and pecked her hard on the head! I shooed her off then gave chase. She ran away but later came back and did it again. Gave chase again. The poor Orp then settled into my lap and did not want to leave once she realized I would protect her. I think it is jist one chicken but we have 2 Black Australorps so I can't really tell for sure. She's only 24 or 25 weeks old so should I wait for her to grow out some more or just kill it ASAP?

Grow her out to eat her? If you do I would seperate her from the flock and avoid any contact with her

ALL of my bedding is moldy....by intention.
wink.png
Could be you just need to open up some ventilation and get them some fresh air in that coop?

That's old enough for eating...she won't get much bigger than she is at 6 mo. old, not enough to count anyway. I'd kill her and not wait.

Back
Top Bottom