Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Once feathered, temperature is no longer much of a threat as long as they can access shelter that protects from wind.
Is it terrible that I am terrified they won't be warm enough? I guess I need to think of them as outside animals than "baby chicks". They are pretty much feathered out, they tried to fly out of their indoor habitat yesterday, one was semi successful.
1f633.png
[/QUOTE]
To put it into perspective. This winter I had a group of 4 chicks that were feathered out and in desperate need of more flapping room. The highs were in the mid 50s, lows were expected to be in the high 30s, so out they went. The next night, a freak cold snap hit. Daytime highs were in the low 30s and night temps dropped down into the teens. Record cold for around here. The chicks were fine and more than happy to run around on the frozen ground.

Paying my dues with some pics of my happy chicks using their MHP in their dog-kennel turned brooder. Right now it's suspended with chains and secured so it won't move but I think we'll change it over to stand on bolts as it will be easier to adjust and I keep getting nervous a little wing might get stuck around the chain or something!

What are everyone's opinions on what types of sticks/grass etc. can be added for their entertainment as well as any treats etc?
Just jumping in here..lol.. Ive read a good bit of the thread and jumped tothe end, and am glad I did. The chains a re super idea!! I have been used small bricks in the middle of mine to keep them from collapsing on top of babies when others climb on top but I just took a chain out of a breeder pen yesterday that was too short for pretty muchanything and I am glad I am a hoarder and kept it :). But for treats, I always dig dirt/grass clumps from the yard where my older birds run..this gives the babies grit and a fun toys while slowly introducing them to the bacterias and whatnot in the ground. My daughter raises rabbits and guinea pigs so she always has those little bags of good hay. I use that to give the babies handfuls but also give them hay from the horses square bales too. a meal worm farm is also a great thing to have. I also get feeder fish for the ducks and ducklings, but sometimes Ill put the tiniest in a very small bowl (like a quarter inch of water to keep the fish sort of moving but not so much that it could put babies in danger) and they have a blast first trying to figure out what it is , then watching them get brave enough for a peck and then of course the game of keep away that follows when someone finally grabs one..I also chop lettuces, bell peppers and cucumbers up very fine and give them that with carrot shavings. I am pretty sure my critters eat better than I do....

As the sun was setting yesterday​, my 3-4 weekers went up on the roost. I waited until full dark to check and saw they'd reconsidered and gone back under the pad. But, they're SO close. It's warm today (72F) and naps are away from the heat. I'm curious to see what they do tonight.

As the sun was setting yesterday, my 3-4 weekers went up on the roost. I waited until full dark to check and saw they'd reconsidered and gone back under the pad. But, they're SO close. It's warm today (72F) and naps are away from the heat. I'm curious to see what they do tonight.

From my experience, measly 3 different sets of chicks ranging from 10, 9, 38, they'll be spending more time on top rather than under shortly and "done" in a couple more weeks, depending on your weather. They are fun to watch with all their antics....

PS...The 38 were Seramas/Silkies

Last edited:
Quote:
Dont you just love their fake out tactics..lol I had this teeny banty hen that hatched 12 babies. 1. I am not even sure how she covered 12 eggs and when I finally found her nest there was not even one egg unhatched so she is amazing imo. But, she mothered those babies so bad. They were all bigger than her by 4 weeks old and even when they were 6-8 weeks old, shed be up on the roost trying to fit everyone under her,..it was quite the site. And this was late summer so I know they didnt need the heat, but they sure did try to milk it for all it was worth. The night that they all finally decided to roost beside her and instead of under her, that very next day she started laying again and as soon as she had a clutch, immediately went broody again. She was 3 years old and had never ever even acted like she wanted to raise babies but now its all she wants to do.

@aart , what was the temp that you measured on your heating pad? As you suggested, I used an IR thermometer and measured temps of 125-134 degrees f on the EcoGlow, and 140 degrees f on it's power supply.
cool.png

@aart , what was the temp that you measured on your heating pad? As you suggested, I used an IR thermometer and measured temps of 125-134 degrees f on the EcoGlow, and 140 degrees f on it's power supply.
cool.png
It was like 110-120F on the 'hot' side and 108-115 on the 'cool' side.

IIRC my old heat pad, on the plastic under the removable cover, was like 130F.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are very right, Blooie (of course). I discovered that sometimes a heat lamp must be used. I used it on my 40 (apparently not 41!) babies right after they had hatched to watch for any malformations/splayed leg and failure to thrive. It is hard to see these things when they are itty bitty like that and just stay under the MHP the whole time. It broke my heart to have to hook it up, but realistically, I had not made an MHP big enough anyway. They soon after went out to the coop brooder where there were then two MHP and plenty of room for them to run around.

But I hate heat lamps! Almost burned down my chicken coup and the 15 or so chickens inside it when it fell to the straw floor. Was starting to smolder the plywood floor when I discovered it! Sooo scary!

Back
Top Bottom