Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

What are everyone's recommendations for best waterers? I'm about to lose my mind over the number of times I refill my chick's water every day bc of the amount of pine shavings it gets caked with. And I'm starting to be concerned they may not be getting enough water because of it. I'm thinking of possibly switching to sand in the brooder. They launch the shavings off if the MHP all day, it's their favorite thing to do! I've only got 4 chicks and they're about 3 1/2 weeks old.

I drilled holes into the side of a cereal saver Tupperware container and screwed in nipples. Went from checking every ten in to once a day just to give fresh water. We use sand for babies. We like it but dusts up the house pretty good.
Sorry for your loss! If you want to hear a usps horror story my chicks that got sent out Tuesday never made it. Still know nothing about where they are or what happened. Even with gel and heatpack I know they must have died. 20 ducks/chicks just gone.

I've got a puppy pad under a cookie sheet, then the food and water are on the cookie sheet. The lip of the cookie sheet helps catch the water that gets splashed, and the puppy pad soaks up what manages to get spilled. Ducks are seriously messy critters.
that's a good idea.

Thanks @merrymouse! I actually wanted to use a nipple waterer from the start but I couldn't come across one that I thought would fit and work well in the brooder, do you have a link for one?

Don't have a link but I got mine off Amazon. They came in a two pack and they were already attached to a plastic cap. So I just got a liter sized bottle and screwed it on. I tried using bricks etc to elevate but I think it depends on the breeds of chickens too. I have a cream legbar and Swedish flower that I can tell are going to be fantastic foragers. They barely eat out of the food trough they are always kicking around looking for food. So I names my cream legbar Kiki for her kicking abilities. I think I could have put her waterer at the top of a ladder and she still would have managed to get stuff in the water. They are both serious kickers and scratchers. No food or water troughs are safe
1f644.png

I need some MHP help.  I have 9 chicks ages 2 to 5ish weeks in a dog crate with MHP all doing great, but getting too stinky and dusty for me (asthma).  I also have a tiny chick that has had some kind of neurological or vitamin deficiency or whatever that was doing very very poorly.  Couldn't keep its balance, wasn't eating or drinking, getting picked on by the others and literally could not walk to get out of the way of trouble, never mind finding the food and water in the big dog crate.  So I took the baby chick, who is tiny compared to the others and set her up with her own MHP.  I set her at 6 for warmth, fed her nutridrench every 3 to 4 hours and now she has improved.  She is not out of the woods by a long shot but she can balance and move and is eating and drinking on her own etc.  She has been peeping loudly today, probably feels better and wondering why she is alone.  Here is a link to the thread about her if anyone would like to chime in and help me with her.  Im a first time chicken keeper and really don't know what Im doing so much 

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1163464/baby-chick-in-trouble/60#post_18321616

Anyway, Im thinking of putting one of the smallest chicks in with her for now and seeing how it goes but my MHP ? is will the other chick be ok with the higher temp of the MHP?  

If they do well together and the sick chick continues to improve I would like to move her out to the coop at the same time I move the bigger girls out which will be some time this week.  So how do I handle the MHP outside?  The big girls are down to 4 and I was going to lower it again tonight to 3.  but I feel the baby sick chick still may need the supportive heat.  She is not nearly feathered out.  I would hate to see this baby chick perish for some reason that is actually in my control.  Thank you all:hugs

I really hope your one that is struggling ends up being perfectly healthy. *Hugs*

I have never seen anything like this in all the batches of chicks I've raised.  Lost another one, again one of the tiny ones.  I guess it goes without saying that this batch will not be going outside to live for a while yet.  As much as I hate raising chicks indoors, I hate seeing them die even more.  I am confident enough in MHP and the way I raised Silkies in the past that it's not something I'm doing wrong.  But I'd be lying if I said I'm not questioning and re-hashing every single thing, too.

Katie was, well, Katie.  :idunno At first she cried a little.  When I put my arms around her she hugged me back, hard.  I told her how sorry I am that this group just isn't doing well, and I told her I just don't know what's going on.

She said, "Well, Gramma, you didn't do it.  You didn't step on them, did you?  No, you didn't.  You didn't turn off the heating pad did you?  No.  You didn't forget to feed and water them, did you? No.  You gave them Nutri-stuff, didn't you?  Yes.  You told me that sometimes chicks even die when their real mom is taking care of them.  So you have to do what she does when some chicks die.  You have to just keep taking care of the ones you have left."

Have I ever mentioned how much I love that little girl?

Your granddaughter is absolutely awesome.
1f497.png
I'm so sorry for your losses and I really hope all the others end up perfectly healthy. *Hugs*

I just gave my 3 & 4 week old chicks & 2 ducklings the boot out to the grow out pen and out of my garage brooder. They've been spending their days out in the chicken tractor this past week. It's supposed to be rainy some this week so I had to decide if they'd be better in the garage unhappy or better outside (w good shelter). I'm going w the latter & they're feathered out pretty well it's just nerve wracking sending them outside the first time- even tho I've done this all before! And I'm sure the ducklings won't mind the weather one bit but they just had to get out of my garage! So messy.

Decided to take my MHP out to the grow out pen for the littles tonight- it's supposed to get down in the 20s tonight & we had a rain/snow mix all day. They're protected from the weather but just thought they might be cold. Just went to check on them & the 6 chicks & 2 ducklings were snug as a bug all tucked in under the heating pad. Looks like they'll sleep well tonight!

Decided to take my MHP out to the grow out pen for the littles tonight- it's supposed to get down in the 20s tonight & we had a rain/snow mix all day. They're protected from the weather but just thought they might be cold. Just went to check on them & the 6 chicks & 2 ducklings were snug as a bug all tucked in under the heating pad. Looks like they'll sleep well tonight!

So will you!

Getting MHP ready for our first chicks, expected to arrive Wednesday!

I used a 12x24 inch tile I had on hand, sandwiched on the ends with pieces of 1x2 and 2x4.

Tied a large heating pad underneath

(Upside-down view)

Put in a pillow case, sewn shut on the end, and bungee corded. All ready for chicks to snuggle up against!

I plan to put shelf liner over the top for anti-slippage.
1f425.png

I'm using a different brand heating pad, as I was able to get a firm answer before ordering as to the fact that the pad comes back on automatically after a power outage (we have the power go off for a few seconds frequently, really never longer than that). Dr. Franklyn's King Size Moist Heat/Dry Heat Heating Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NA3K4IC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NCe7yb9M0ADSC

Thanks so much for this thread, Blooie!

Edited to add: I plan to adjust the height by wiggling it down into the pine shavings initially and later putting pieces of 1x6 or 2x6 under the sides to elevate as needed. Will have it open at the back as well as the front to allow chicks to "escape" that way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom