Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Has anyone tried using a thermostat for better control of the actual heat in the heating pad? I've got some babies coming next week (and I've been stalking this thread for weeks
big_smile.png
) and decided to try the MHP brooding method. I'm debating about adding a temp controller, more for peace of mind than anything. I've actually got a few lying around as I also own ball pythons, and was wondering about your thoughts on that.

Has anyone tried using a thermostat for better control of the actual heat in the heating pad? I've got some babies coming next week (and I've been stalking this thread for weeks
big_smile.png
) and decided to try the MHP brooding method. I'm debating about adding a temp controller, more for peace of mind than anything. I've actually got a few lying around as I also own ball pythons, and was wondering about your thoughts on that.

dont need it... the chicks regulate their own temps.

I suppose you can, but none of us has found it necessary at all. Put the pad on 5 or 6 until the chicks start telling you that they don't need that much, then turn it down. There's no exact science here. The chicks will tell you everything you need to know. And don't panic because they don't "live" under the cave after the first day or so. They don't "live" under a broody hen either. They'll run all over the place, duck under and squirt back out, sit on top of the pad, under it, along side it, and after just a couple of weeks many of them won't be anywhere near it. I've never even seen one of those thermostats and I raised Scout and 3 batches of chicks using MHP. If it will cycle the heat on and off, or up and down, I'd be afraid that cycling would disrupt the "auto-off" bypass. When the pad is turned off, you have to physically reset the "stay on" feature so it would seem to this little brain that the pad would read any disruption as a a restart.

If it will cycle the heat on and off, or up and down, I'd be afraid that cycling would disrupt the "auto-off" bypass. When the pad is turned off, you have to physically reset the "stay on" feature so it would seem to this little brain that the pad would read any disruption as a a restart.

I think that knowledge is KEY Blooie. Yes the reptile remote thermostat (at least the one I have) shuts off power until the sensor says more heat is needed. Just like a central heat thermostat in your house. I used it with my now 3 Y/O hens the "old fashioned way" so I didn't have to mess with figuring out how to raise the red heat lamp as they needed less heat. It never just dimmed to put out less heat, it was either on or off.

I think that knowledge is KEY Blooie. Yes the reptile remote thermostat (at least the one I have) shuts off power until the sensor says more heat is needed. Just like a central heat thermostat in your house. I used it with my now 3 Y/O hens the "old fashioned way" so I didn't have to mess with figuring out how to raise the red heat lamp as they needed less heat. It never just dimmed to put out less heat, it was either on or off.
Some are on/off where others are variable, like a dimmer... I'll go without, because to be completely honest, I don't remember which thermostat does which option. I didnt have anything to do with the raising of our first set of chicks, my bf's daughter actually carried them back and forth between her mom's and our house, so I only saw them every other day until they went to the coop, but I'm pretty sure she used a heat lamp with them, so it will be interesting to see how things progress with these guys.

So I went to Amazon to look at heating pads and the sunbeam ones had some bad reviews where the electrical line that connects to the until was faulty, sparked and caused a fire. This makes me just as hesitant as a ceramic heat bulb. I would use the Eco glow but worried about the few winter nights that drop below 45 degrees.

big_smile.png

Even after 24 hours my new hatchlings pop in and out as they choose. I peeked under the MHP as I was worried that they might overheat as well, but as you can see from the pics above each chick found the spot they were most comfortable in. I just tossed 2 more under fresh from the incubator and one headed towards the middle and one to the edge where its almost touching the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom