Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

You could probably raise the frame and/or lower the heat.  I'd put it down to 3 or 4 and I'll bet they'd be fine.  If they start that loud "Doggone it, I'm cold" cheeping and huddling up together just pop it back up to 4 or 5, depending on what you turned it down to.  Actually by 4 weeks mine was on 1 for a few days and then off, and they did just fine.  So let the chicks call it for you.  When I had mine outside it was the time of year that temps outside were gradually going up.  This time of year they are going down, so you'll want them acclimated to cold temps pretty soon.  Great job!

Sounds great! Thank you for all the advice and support. :hugs

They did great!! I went out around 10pm and everyone was sound asleep and I could see the orange light on from the sunbeam heating pad through the plastic wrapped run, so I knew it was on. This morning when I went to open the coop, a few were already up and eating and playing and a few were still sleeping. I warmed up some fermented chick starter and brought it out. Now everyone is out and playing. I notice that during the day I never really see them go under the cave at all. Should I lower it down during the day? I'm keeping it on 6 at night. And thank you for asking!
Now, wasn't that easy????

You are so very welcome! So glad that you were willing to do this and give your chicks a more natural start. It's a huge leap of faith to go another way when everything you read says to do it this way or your chicks will die. And it's one thing for me to use MHP here for my chicks and be thrilled with the results - it's a whole 'nuther ball game to encourage others to try something so different.So I also thank you, and all the contributors to this thread, for all of your enthusiasm and nerves of steel!

Might start on the MPH thing but my concern is how huge the wire is. No clue where to cut it or anything. Like it seems really tall or I guess wide because it must be like 4 or 5 feet? I'm 5' 11" and you can see it's like at my chest. Also concerned about ticks and poison ivy and finding the wire cutters lol maybe I'll start inside first with the pad.

Dumb selfie lol sorry

Sort of the height?

I have a quick question, night #2, it's now dark and in the upper 40's but the chicks are all in the corner of the outside brooding area...not under the heating pad! I tried to catch them and stick them under (as a reminder) but they all ran out. Should I just let them be? They will go under if they are cold enough, right?

Probably not if it's dark.  They don't move much in the dark. What's the pad set on?  Is there room for all of them under there?  Can you get them to roost on top of it?

They all went under...I'm sorry. I'm such a nervous hen these last two days. I think I just started worrying a few minutes too soon. Or maybe one stayed under when I tried sticking them under and enticed the others under. The biggest chick stood on top off the mph for a few minutes crying after everyone else went under. So I went out there and stuck him under and he didn't come back out. All is well now. I'm not sure why they didn't go under themselves and got comfy in a pile in the corner, I'm curious to see what they do tomorrow. I'll give them an extra half hour before intervening and see what happens.

Pour yourself a glass of wine.....you are on the homestretch! They shouldn't need you anymore to help them do anything else. I think you're work is done! If they went under, they've got it, so tonight should be your last worry night. From now on just leave them. Some will go under, some will get up on top, and some will scream like crazy waiting for you to do it all for them. They won't scream for long. If they are sitting on top and are mad because they're not being put underneath, they'll just have to tough it out. And they will. By now many broody hens would be taking them up to roost and obviously they wouldn't all fit under her, anyway - especially on a roost! So relax! You did it! They did it! And it will only get easier from here on out!

Pour yourself a glass of wine.....you are on the homestretch!  They shouldn't need you anymore to help them do anything else. I think you're work is done!  If they went under, they've got it, so tonight should be your last worry night.  From now on just leave them.  Some will go under, some will get up on top, and some will scream like crazy waiting for you to do it all for them.  They won't scream for long.  If they are sitting on top and are mad because they're not being put underneath, they'll just have to tough it out.  And they will.  By now many broody hens would be taking them up to roost and obviously they wouldn't all fit under her, anyway - especially on a roost!  So relax!  You did it!  They did it!  And it will only get easier from here on out!

Ok, thank you Blooie! I haven't had a broody yet, so this is still new to me! I was so relieved when they were all safe and happy this morning. Shooting to have them in the coop with the others in about 3 weeks. When should I make the portals? (They are 3 & 4 weeks old now) but just started spending time outside about 5 days ago.

Back
Top Bottom