Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

If they are in a room where you can close it off from the rest of the house, you could crack a window to keep that room colder after the first week.
Keeping the brooder room door closed will also keep the dust in that room, less to clean up after they move out...the dust is incredible even after just a week.
Good idea! I will.
thumbsup.gif

Hey y'all! I'm getting some day old chicks in about 10 days. I've assembled my brooder and have the Mama Heating Pad cave set up. It's very cold here now. But the forecast for when the chicks arrive is nights in the 20s, days in the 30s. I had planned to keep the chicks in my house for the first 2 weeks, just because I want to be able to look at them a lot. Will it be too big of a shock to move them out to the coop with the heat cave after being inside for 2 weeks? If so, how do I make the transition? Thanks for any suggestions.
If this topic has already been covered, sorry. This thread is so long, I'm still trying to catch up.

I had this same issue as my coop build was delayed. They were in my house until 3 weeks. Before I put them in the coop, I put them in my garage for about 4 days. During that time it got COLD. My garage gets almost as cold as the outside air so it was down to the mid 30s in there at night. They did absolutely fine! And spent most of the time on top of MHP instead of inside it. They went from there into the coop (no other chickens in there) with extra thick bedding of pine shavings, the heating pad and the waterer has a bird bath heater in it. It's been down into the teens at night and they're doing great!

I had this same issue as my coop build was delayed. They were in my house until 3 weeks. Before I put them in the coop, I put them in my garage for about 4 days. During that time it got COLD. My garage gets almost as cold as the outside air so it was down to the mid 30s in there at night. They did absolutely fine! And spent most of the time on top of MHP instead of inside it. They went from there into the coop (no other chickens in there) with extra thick bedding of pine shavings, the heating pad and the waterer has a bird bath heater in it. It's been down into the teens at night and they're doing great!
Thanks for that. It makes me feel like this might work out well. Glad yours are thriving!
smile.png

I got a big portion of my brooder taken care of today.
big_smile.png
I went to Costco's produce department and asked if they had any of the really large heavy duty cardboard bins they keep things like onions in and they had one. It is about 4 ft by 4ft and about 2 ft deep. I figured I don't really plan on needing to reuse it, it was free, and a nice size for my 7 chicks when I get them.

A quick question for you all: I ordered my chicks from a breeder in California, and don't have my shipping dates yet (he goes in order they were received, and I ordered a variety, at least one of which isn't currently laying/fertile). Anyway, I know I won't get my chicks for at least a month, and we are planning on being out of town in early April. What is the youngest age you would feel comfortable leaving chicks for a couple days and having someone check on them once a day? Of course I want my little fluffy butts as soon as I possibly can get them, but I am wondering if I should request a delivery date after we get back.

Carrie

Nice score on the box, Costco must have a ton of big boxes every week given everything they sell is "supersized" in physical size or quantity.

When you say "a breeder in California" are you talking a small breeder or a commercial hatchery? I would think it difficult to get a specific set of breeds from a small breeder, you might be waiting for MONTHS for all the girls of the breeds you want to be laying at the same time. It isn't always easy from big commercial hatcheries that have dozens to potentially hundreds of girls of each breed they sell.

This is such an awesome idea. I live in SouthEast Idaho so I know what you mean about cold weather. We are new to the chicken scene and are very excited to get started. I have been worried what to do about a brooder I did not want to use a heat lamp because the chicks will be in my basement for the first 2-3 weeks, before moving them outside. I really worried about burning my house down. This is the best thing I have seen, such a great community on this site.

Welcome! Glad to have you join us! Those of us who have used Mama Heating Pad are convinced it's the best way to raise chicks, so we look forward to answering your questions and seeing what you have devised for your chicks. Oh, and pictures...don't forget that your membership fee is photos of the babies!

Oh, except for @lazy gardener - she doesn't do photos so she's been granted lifetime membership status without any dues due!

I have a very cozy brooder box in my house with the momma heating pad in full effect and it's going really well, but I have one chick with a case of the pasty butt. I've soaked a rag in hot water and tried to remove it that way, but I couldn't get it all off. What should I do next? She was pretty upset that I was picking at her wet butt, so I stopped before I could get it all off--it's pretty stuck on there. What should I do? And can they die from the pasty butt?? I'm stressin and sad she's uncomfortable :(

I have a very cozy brooder box in my house with the momma heating pad in full effect and it's going really well, but I have one chick with a case of the pasty butt. I've soaked a rag in hot water and tried to remove it that way, but I couldn't get it all off. What should I do next? She was pretty upset that I was picking at her wet butt, so I stopped before I could get it all off--it's pretty stuck on there. What should I do? And can they die from the pasty butt?? I'm stressin and sad she's uncomfortable :(
They can die if their vent is plugged. I just had a chick with a case of it last night. It is so hard to get off, but I got a little bowl / ramekin and soaked her butt in warm water for a couple of minutes. Then I went back to wiping it with a damp paper towel and was able to get it all Off. It takes some persistence, and she was not happy with me, but after I got it off, I wrapped her in a towel For a minute to dry her. I per her head and she fell asleep :) She went back under MHP and has been fine since:

Back
Top Bottom