Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Oh they did "purr" and it melted my heart!
2764.png
Soooooo sweet!

It doesn't help that I may be a bit of a micromanager (aka control freak) this is a good lesson for me. They are going to be my guide from now on.

Thank you again!! I really appreciate your quick replies!

I am so sorry...I didn't see this post until it was quoted above and had to go back and find it. I wasn't ignoring it, really! :oops: Setup looks good. Now we need to see it with chicks under it as soon as they arrive! (hint hint) I have a new adventure waiting for me next week. The eggs I ordered, plus the ones that @LocalYokel gifted to me, will be shipped on Monday from MyPetChicken. That means they won't be here until Thursday. Unfortunately we'll be in Billings all day with my followup appointments with the cardiologist and won't be here to get them right away. Our postmistress, Jan, is really good about keeping "personal service" alive and well in the postal system. So yesterday I told her what I was expecting and she said she'd put them in a lockbox for me so they weren't jostled anymore and I wouldn't have to wait until Friday morning to pick them up. I could get them anytime when we got back. So I have to fire up the new incubator and I'm going to try hatching. I wish I was brave enough to try @Beekissed 's system of incubating with the heating pad too, but alas I'm not ready for that step yet. I guess I'll hold the eggs to give the air cells time to reattach and set them on Sunday. Does that sound about right?
I'm so excited for ya!!! Didn't mean to spread the incubatitis! :lau

I am hatching again!

I have another "white sport" I hope I can keep this one alive!

I was feeling down because I have been losing some chicks more than I think I should. BUT I then remembered I have been selling so many, and I keep the iffy ones and the ones with birth defects, the small ones and so on, because I do not want anyone to say I sold them bad chicks...

I should feel good I am doing as good as I am, considering I am keeping the 20% that fail to thrive. I am sure the reason more have not died is MHP. It is so fantastic and the sound of the happy little chicks under it is so cool!

So much for may rambling, off to bed, Night!

I am hatching again!

I have another "white sport" I hope I can keep this one alive!

I was feeling down because I have been losing some chicks more than I think I should. BUT I then remembered I have been selling so many, and I keep the iffy ones and the ones with birth defects, the small ones and so on, because I do not want anyone to say I sold them bad chicks...

I should feel good I am doing as good as I am, considering I am keeping the 20% that fail to thrive. I am sure the reason more have not died is MHP. It is so fantastic and the sound of the happy little chicks under it is so cool!

So much for may rambling, off to bed, Night!
Now, Ralph. You need to do a hatch or two just for yourself. If you keep being Mr. Softy, you're gonna have nothing but iffy ones and the ones with birth defects, the small ones and so on in your future generations. You can always sell those at a discount, or even give them away as part of a BOGO deal. Is the white sport going to be auto-sexing?

Now, Ralph.  You need to do a hatch or two just for yourself.  If you keep being Mr. Softy, you're gonna have nothing but  iffy ones and the ones with birth defects, the small ones and so on in your future generations.  You can always sell those at a discount, or even give them away as part of a BOGO deal.  Is the white sport going to be auto-sexing?

Not to worry, I have mine already for next year, I keep the earliest and the best for myself. These other "iffy" ones just become part of my layer flock. I would never risk a "poor" bird into my breeders..

The "white Sport" as best as I can tell is auto sexing but it is much harder to auto-sex than the others. The spot is hard to see.

Blooie, last year was my first try at hatching. I let them settle for about 8 hrs then set them in egg cartons that have the sides cut down low and holes in the bottom for the best air circulation. Then they go in the incubator. I don't turn them for 4 days. I've read that other people do this with their SHIPPED eggs too. That's what I'm doing again this year but USPS has been particularly brutal with my eggs this year and my first hatch will only have 9 out of 40 eggs going into lockdown
sad.png

Here's a pic of their condo with MHP. Short term rental only....1 week then out to the coop they go under the XL MHP. Last year there were heat lamps dangling over the condo. There's even a tunnel going from one to the other.
That is quite a setup. Do they use the tunnel? I'm interested in learning more about this method of hatching. How do you keep the humidity up? guess I better do some research. Can you point me to helpful threads?

LadyIsadora, the hatching is done in the incubator like usual. All the info I found was by googling how to incubate shipped eggs. Most of mine seem to have damaged air cells on arrival so I stand them up for the entire time. The chicks love to run back and forth through the tunnel. It will be interesting this year since MHP is only on one side and the room temperature is only about 60. This is my first MHP experience but I'm really hoping it works for me.

I've also read to put them into the incubator after 24 hours and then leave them for the first 4 days.  So much to learn, so little time!!

Blooie, got my bator ready. Ran overnight and temp holding tight, I am ready! However, I am going to be away from home all day today and don't want to set and then be gone. So trying to be patient, setting tomorrow.

What type of bator your using?

I am using a syrofoam bator, drilled a hole in the side and added tubing to add humidity without opening the bator.

:pop

Back
Top Bottom