Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Totally off topic but it's my thread and I can hijack it if I want to! I'm posting this in as many places as I can to get a prayer chain started for Kendra! Thanks!

The kids just left for Denver this morning. I've got Katie and Evan for the next week. Kendra will be having her 6 month regular Spina Bifida clinic, then she has appointments for Autism screening. That's more a formality - we already know she's on the autisim spectrum so nothing they say will really surprise us.

Then for the first time they'll be meeting with the surgical team about her Ace/Mitrofanoff procedure. They'll do a more in-depth series of exams than just her usual ultrasounds and MRI, and make the final determination about her candidacy and possible surgical date. Jenny and I will end up down in Denver when they do it, and we'll likely be down there for about a month - not looking forward to that but we've done it before, we can do it again. I just hope this works to help give Kendra a more normal life. This is a short thing about the process and the prognosis. From what I understand, when it works it works great, when it doesn't it's a disaster.

So asking for prayers for a safe journey both there and back, and good results for Kendra! Thanks!

http://www.coloradourologists.com/pedia ... fanoff.htm

Oh wow
fl.gif
that all works well and Kendra can have a more normal and independant life.

Hi everyone! I am using a modified MHP system, although I brooding indoors (in the process of building coop now). I have an always on heating pad set up over a cardboard box. It is 90 inside the box, 73 in the rest of the room. I've had the chicks for 2 days, got them from a feed store, so they are likely around 5 days old. They don't seem cold at all- they move around their large area without any problems. I check on them regularly. So far, so good. They are all eating and drinking and pooping without a problem. They huddle in the heating cave at night, but seem to nap on top during the day, when they aren't eating and drinking. I also took some advise from folks earlier and put out some dirt from my yard for them to scratch in. They are getting medicated feed too. They seem to enjoy it. Any advise for a newbie? Anything I am missing? I think my system is working well, but I have to admit to anxiety, as I am new to brooding chicks (I had chickens when I lived in AZ,but I got them older.) Love the heating pad idea- heat lamps scare me to death, especially since my husband and I both work out of the home usually, although he can stay home with the chicks next week.
Thanks for this cool idea!
-KJ

Oh and Blooie, my thoughts are with your family. I work with kids with ASD. Y'all are working on this early, which is great. Having a supportive family is one of the best predictors for a good outcome for kids on the spectrum. I wish the best for your Kendra.

Hi everyone! I am using a modified MHP system, although I brooding indoors (in the process of building coop now). I have an always on heating pad set up over a cardboard box. It is 90 inside the box, 73 in the rest of the room. I've had the chicks for 2 days, got them from a feed store, so they are likely around 5 days old. They don't seem cold at all- they move around their large area without any problems. I check on them regularly. So far, so good. They are all eating and drinking and pooping without a problem. They huddle in the heating cave at night, but seem to nap on top during the day, when they aren't eating and drinking. I also took some advise from folks earlier and put out some dirt from my yard for them to scratch in. They are getting medicated feed too. They seem to enjoy it. Any advise for a newbie? Anything I am missing? I think my system is working well, but I have to admit to anxiety, as I am new to brooding chicks (I had chickens when I lived in AZ,but I got them older.) Love the heating pad idea- heat lamps scare me to death, especially since my husband and I both work out of the home usually, although he can stay home with the chicks next week.
Thanks for this cool idea!
-KJ
hi there hensamongcedars! From what you posted, sounds like all is well! LOL your husband can stay home with chicks...new babies. Mine are almost four weeks and in coop with MHP for first time last night. They were JUST fine...I was the nervous one moving them to coop.

While in the house I handled and talked to them daily, sat on floor with them (in a bathroom with a towel on the floor), to where they would just sit on my lap and stay there and eat treats, and run up and sit on my shoulder. Already while in coop, they are running up to me (not away) to say hi and see if I have more goodies for them. Have fun, I highly recommend handling them, and I can pick them up easily now...spoiled babies...

Oh, I am picking them up all the time. I can't resist. They are so cute... and I can check them for pasty butt. I'm training my husband to do the same-that is the challenge, he is not used to most pets, much less chickens. But, he agreed I could have cats, chickens and goats, so he has to learn! ;-) He's being a good sport about it. Thanks for reassuring me about my set up. It is scary being a new 'parent.'

What treats did you feed? I tried some yogurt this AM and they didn't seem to like it. In AZ, my hens there loved yogurt and watermelon the most. My mom's silkie (African Ground Parrot to her neighbors, as chicks are not legal where mom is) loves yogurt as well, so I am surprised they didn't take to it. I guess they are young. I even mixed feed in with it, hoping to tempt them.

Lol, for treats and such, see my thread here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1087887/aint-nobody-here-but-us-chickens

I tried yogurt (I make my own) for probiotics but then read they don't tolerate milk products sometimes (and they weren't very interested!), so went with fermented feed, sprouts and microgreens. Using the MHP and doing these good treats (plus chick grit) I want to get them super healthy while they are still young...starting early!!!

Oh, I am picking them up all the time.  I can't resist. They are so cute... and I can check them for pasty butt.  I'm training my husband to do the same-that is the challenge, he is not used to most pets, much less chickens. But, he agreed I could have cats, chickens and goats, so he has to learn! ;-)  He's being a good sport about it.  Thanks for reassuring me about my set up.  It is scary being a new 'parent.'

What treats did you feed?  I tried some yogurt this AM and they didn't seem to like it.  In AZ, my hens there loved yogurt and watermelon the most.  My mom's silkie (African Ground Parrot to her neighbors, as chicks are not legal where mom is) loves yogurt as well, so I am surprised they didn't take to it.  I guess they are young.  I even mixed feed in with it, hoping to tempt them.  

I occasionally sprinkle in a few meal worms. I bought a package of dried but have a package of live on its way to me. I'll be starting a tiny meal worm farm as a ceap way to treat my girls. Plus I am planting comfrey in my garden this year as I have heard they love the leaves and it has loads of other uses too...

Back
Top Bottom