Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Noob, EVERYONE knows what a Green Magnolia chicken is!

Um, I can't even find a reference on Google! Must be someone's "project" (not yet a) breed or something/

@bruceha2000 I found it!! I found it!!!

It is a new "specialty" breed on MyPetChicken....
droolin.gif
. Looks like hatching eggs only AND they are ALL OUT!

Wow! That will make Blooie's flock very special indeed. One of the VERY few Green Magnolias in the world!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulpirate

This may have been mentioned but has anyone else used MHP for other birds? It will be a while before we expand enough for more livestock but I am already considering ducks and MAYBE guineas for the extra benefits they can add to our mini homestead.
Deb is planning to use it for her guineas, and I don't know of anything else, BP.....anyone else want to chime in?

BTW, we have a brand new little Cream Legbar in the family! Total bonus - did not expect any of those to make it! Those are still the only ones, but the day is young and hope springs eternal!

Oh a CL!!! Another "rare in the states" breed.

Remember to pay your dues Blooie
smile.png
but make sure to include the MHP brooder, we don't want to go off topic
wink.png

My chicks have arrived! They were just huddled together in the center of the brooding bin, so I showed them their "cave". They're quiet now but they're all huddled inside. Is that okay? Do they just need time to warm back up after the trip home? First time chicken owner here :( Thanks!

So would this be big enough for 25 chick's for 3 days? I am getting day old chicks shipped to arrive on Friday (hoping they come early) I just found out that we will be out of town for 2 days, Friday and Saturday, to come home Sunday (I love my husband, I love my husband
1f629.png
), so these will be tiny chick's.
SIL is going to come to check on them and replenish food and water. Once I am home I can easily see to their needs, get a bigger MHP. I can run to town today or tomorrow if I must but the only non autoshutoff pad I could find is an hour away....hate to drive all that just for a heating pad.
So, will this surfice for a couple of days or do I need to go get another pad....I need to make a road trip don't i....
It'll be pushing it....I had 15 in a tote that size for a few days. They managed but it was tight. It helps if you can hang the waterer... a small pail with a couple of vertical nipples (available at most feed stores) will keep them from getting a bunch of poop and goop in the water and keep it off the floor for a little additional space - you can even use an empty pop bottle with just one or two nipples in it.

Wow! That will make Blooie's flock very special indeed. One of the VERY few Green Magnolias in the world!!!!

Oh a CL!!! Another "rare in the states" breed.

Remember to pay your dues Blooie
smile.png
but make sure to include the MHP brooder, we don't want to go off topic
wink.png
Ouch!!
hide.gif
MHP is being set up post-haste. To be really honest I wasn't even seeing much need for it so I - the militant advocate of MHP - am scrambling here!

So would this be big enough for 25 chick's for 3 days? I am getting day old chicks shipped to arrive on Friday (hoping they come early) I just found out that we will be out of town for 2 days, Friday and Saturday, to come home Sunday (I love my husband, I love my husband
1f629.png
), so these will be tiny chick's. SIL is going to come to check on them and replenish food and water. Once I am home I can easily see to their needs, get a bigger MHP. I can run to town today or tomorrow if I must but the only non autoshutoff pad I could find is an hour away....hate to drive all that just for a heating pad. So, will this surfice for a couple of days or do I need to go get another pad....I need to make a road trip don't i....
It'll be pushing it....I had 15 in a tote that size for a few days. They managed but it was tight. It helps if you can hang the waterer... a small pail with a couple of vertical nipples (available at most feed stores) will keep them from getting a bunch of poop and goop in the water and keep it off the floor for a little additional space - you can even use an empty pop bottle with just one or two nipples in it.
I do not have the nipples, and I was under the impression (probably wrong) that new chick's had trouble with nipples. I gave this a try last month and lost all the birds to water (I do not know how they got wet) they got cold and could not warm themselves with the heat lamp. So after asking around I was told to check this out. I set it up and put 9 layers under it. Worked wonderfully. But trying to start meat birds and minimum order is 25...ETA: Ha! Sorry I knew better ...

Last edited:
Just set 26 Partridge Chantecler eggs. Hatch date will be May 04th. Gotta use camera and post pictures. Will start with one of the eggs. I am so broody right now. Feel like doing housework...
1f413.png
1f414.png
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f425.png

Come to my house.

Please.

Quote: I do not have the nipples, and I was under the impression (probably wrong) that new chick's had trouble with nipples.
I gave this a try last month and lost all the birds to water (I do not know how they got wet) they got cold and could not warm themselves with the heat lamp. So after asking around I was told to check this out. I set it up and put 9 layers under it. Worked wonderfully. But trying to start meat birds and minimum order is 25...ETA: Ha! Sorry I knew better ...

Could you not just get a huge box from Costco or some other store that gets stuff in big boxes that you can use at first? I agree with Blooie, you aren't going to get 25 chicks in that plastic bin. Since I see straw all around the outside of the bin, is it in a barn or coop?? If so, just stick the MHP and food and water (get them raised out of the bedding) on the ground. Provide a wind block with plywood, plexiglass, anything you have available. If there isn't a wind problem in that area and there are other chickens, just make an "in coop" brooder space with 1/2" hardware cloth.

Just set 26 Partridge Chantecler eggs. Hatch date will be May 04th. Gotta use camera and post pictures. Will start with one of the eggs. I am so broody right now. Feel like doing housework...
1f413.png
1f414.png
1f423.png
1f424.png
1f425.png
Come to my house. Please.
I do not have the nipples, and I was under the impression (probably wrong) that new chick's had trouble with nipples. I gave this a try last month and lost all the birds to water (I do not know how they got wet) they got cold and could not warm themselves with the heat lamp. So after asking around I was told to check this out. I set it up and put 9 layers under it. Worked wonderfully. But trying to start meat birds and minimum order is 25...ETA: Ha! Sorry I knew better ...
Could you not just get a huge box from Costco or some other store that gets stuff in big boxes that you can use at first? I agree with Blooie, you aren't going to get 25 chicks in that plastic bin. Since I see straw all around the outside of the bin, is it in a barn or coop?? If so, just stick the MHP and food and water (get them raised out of the bedding) on the ground. Provide a wind block with plywood, plexiglass, anything you have available. If there isn't a wind problem in that area and there are other chickens, just make an "in coop" brooder space with 1/2" hardware cloth.
The bin is one of those huge ones. Yes I could just raise them on the floor, usually do, but the recent losses made me paranoid and thus this setup, my real concern is the MHP is not big enough.

Back
Top Bottom