Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

dware cloth over the pop door opening so I can open the pop door and let them see outside and have more natural light inside the coop before they're ready to venture outside.

I do have an aside question, though. The nursery coop is about 3 feet by 4 feet and the nursery run is about 3 feet x 6 feet. I have 15 Delaware chicks coming. How long do you all think it'll be before they outgrow the available room and need to move to the big coop?

I'm no expert, but we received 15 chicks from McMurray's 8 days ago, and they have been in a 45g rubbermaid tote (probably about half the area of your nursery coop) and they've pretty much outgrown it - but I was happy to have them inside for this long. This weekend they go to our bigger brooder in the garage which is 3'x6'. My guess is you'd be ok for at least 3 weeks and probably longer, but again, there are many more knowledgeable than me on this forum!

With out doubt, it is a learning experience, and it ultimately boils down to what works best for each person.... as long as they use the MHP! LoL
lau.gif
bow.gif

BTW, I thought those feather dusters were VERY decorative!!!

I do have an aside question, though. The nursery coop is about 3 feet by 4 feet and the nursery run is about 3 feet x 6 feet. I have 15 Delaware chicks coming. How long do you all think it'll be before they outgrow the available room and need to move to the big coop?
Chicks double in size each week, and their space needs double with them, for the first 6 weeks. Then growth begins to slow.
Week 1 - about 1/4 sq ft per chick.
Week 2 - about 1/2 sq ft per chick.
Week 3 - about 1 sq ft per chick.
Week 4 - about 2 sq ft per chick
Week 5 - about 4 sq ft per chick
Week 6 - they are big enough for adult-type living situation.
Your grow out setup is adequate until about 4 weeks.

Chicks double in size each week, and their space needs double with them, for the first 6 weeks. Then growth begins to slow.
Week 1 - about 1/4 sq ft per chick.
Week 2 - about 1/2 sq ft per chick.
Week 3 - about 1 sq ft per chick.
Week 4 - about 2 sq ft per chick
Week 5 - about 4 sq ft per chick
Week 6 - they are big enough for adult-type living situation.
Your grow out setup is adequate until about 4 weeks.

Can I ask, respectfully, where these numbers come from? They are significantly higher than what I've read in the multiple books stacked on my kitchen table! With those requirements, my 15 chickens would need 60 square feet of space before they go out to the coop, which there is no way I can provide.

... I did start out with feather dusters hanging in the brooder for the chicks to snuggle under ( only due to the MHP being out in the coop and set up ) , but within hours I took those out and brought in the MHP....

OMG, I thought the dusters were to play in/under and to provide a way to break line-of-sight. I thought they were brilliant.

Quote:
Quote:
...Your grow out setup is adequate until about 4 weeks.

Thank you. That's what I really wanted to hear -- 3 or 4 weeks. I think I need two weekends to finish the big coop, which means it'll probably take three -- four if one of those weekends is rained out. So perfect.

Can I ask, respectfully, where these numbers come from? They are significantly higher than what I've read in the multiple books stacked on my kitchen table! With those requirements, my 15 chickens would need 60 square feet of space before they go out to the coop, which there is no way I can provide.
General observation after raising many batches of chicks. By the time they are about 2 weeks old, they are very active and need space to run, flap, jump and just be chicks. 15 chicks will need quite a lot of room by the time they are 5 weeks old, but at that point they are mostly feathered in and can be moved outside to live in a 'grown up' coop/run setup.
Consider this, your 15 chicks are going to need at least 60 sq ft of coop space once they are grown, and at least 150 sq ft of run.

General observation after raising many batches of chicks. By the time they are about 2 weeks old, they are very active and need space to run, flap, jump and just be chicks. 15 chicks will need quite a lot of room by the time they are 5 weeks old, but at that point they are mostly feathered in and can be moved outside to live in a 'grown up' coop/run setup.
Consider this, your 15 chicks are going to need at least 60 sq ft of coop space once they are grown, and at least 150 sq ft of run.
Thank you.

Haven't posted in a while, been extremely busy. Got my 6 little chicks a week ago, 4 ameraucanas and 2 buff orpingtons. They have been happily living in a small dog crate with their MHP. Gonna move them and the crate with the MHP to an outdoor pen built inside the bigs coop run. They will have a 4 x 3 foot space to grow up and get to know their big sisters.
This has been the best chick raising experience and I thank each and every one of you for sharing your knowledge, set ups, ideas, and results. I am especially grateful to Blooie for starting this thread and providing all the initial info.
Here are a few pictures of my baby flock.

So tempted to pick up bantams at TSC and my mom almost agreed lmfao even the clerk said to use the small coop for more chickens
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Anyone know what breed the "bantams" are though? If my mom approves it, I may as well get a breed I like. And I would love silkies but I know at TSC that is not likely. But they're only $2.99 and the other breeds are $1.99 but of course the minimum is 6 there. But they also just got a new shipment in since the last time we went earlier this week. And the old bantams are still there, in a separate bin, 8 of em, with little wing feathers already. 8 of my LF girls BARELY fit in our 3x3 (I think) TSC coop kit and are getting a new 4x8 coop we are building now (on a 6x8 base, for nest boxes and storage) but maybe 8 little bantams could fit? Of course it could be better for just a few, maybe 4. But with the minimum being 6 and the older babies still there, I don't wanna leave 2 poor lonely little things there and wanna rescue them all. Or get some younger ones too, I don't know. But anyone know what breed? Probably varies by store but ours ALL appear the same breed, same exact color. Not quite as yellow as the Cornish X's but maybe creamy whitish? Not really white, creamy yellowy whitey type thing? Black beak.

Back
Top Bottom