Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

My hubby is going to use a grinder and take off all the little pokey pieces from where we cut the wire tonight. Then I'll put it all together and we will have a MHP! I'm soooooo excited to get my first chicks!!

My hubby is going to use a grinder and take off all the little pokey pieces from where we cut the wire tonight. Then I'll put it all together and we will have a MHP! I'm soooooo excited to get my first chicks!!

Best of luck w you chicks! It's so exciting when you get them! I took the advice posted before and had the heating pad snuggly attached to the frame to avoid chicks stuck in between. I also made sure the chicks had the HP touching their backs, like Blooie and many others explained earlier. For that to happen, I piled the flooring w pine shavings (that's what I use for them, you may be using something else) until it reached an adequate height, then I piled a little less towards the entrance, so they could easily get in.
Best of luck!

Here are mine at 1 week:

Best of luck w you chicks! It's so exciting when you get them! I took the advice posted before and had the heating pad snuggly attached to the frame to avoid chicks stuck in between. I also made sure the chicks had the HP touching their backs, like Blooie and many others explained earlier. For that to happen, I piled the flooring w pine shavings (that's what I use for them, you may be using something else) until it reached an adequate height, then I piled a little less towards the entrance, so they could easily get in.
Best of luck!

Here are mine at 1 week. I pile a bit more of pine shavings for them to fit snuggly in. They just kick some out during playtime
smile.png

Best of luck w you chicks! It's so exciting when you get them! I took the advice posted before and had the heating pad snuggly attached to the frame to avoid chicks stuck in between. I also made sure the chicks had the HP touching their backs, like Blooie and many others explained earlier. For that to happen, I piled the flooring w pine shavings (that's what I use for them, you may be using something else) until it reached an adequate height, then I piled a little less towards the entrance, so they could easily get in. Best of luck! Here are mine at 1 week:
Thank you! I've just got to wait for the sharp edges to be ground down and then I will bungee cord the pad to the frame and stick it inside a pillow case. Still debating on the press and seal...would be nice for it to be wipe able. Lol

Press n'seal is working for me for now. They were trying to eat it and I removed it. Then, they tried to pull the threads from the towel and eat them, so I wrapped it up again. Crazy birds!!!

Or maybe the chicks are trying to stay away from the chick due to its abnormal behavior?
Best of luck. Hope the chick make it.

That is not the issue. If you put her down in the brooder they come around her. When she was easting last night I had to keep shooing them away so she could eat in peace. They all slept together under the MHP just fine once the other finally decided to go to bed.

She drank a good amount of NutriDrench from s soaked Q tip this morning in 2 different sittings. She also ate a little bit of crumble moistened with NutriDrench. No real improvement in the condition but we are hopeful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom