Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Thanks for the tip. Trying to do this on a phone is new to me.
1f633.png

If you're asking about the size crate I used in the first posts, I used a large (German Shepard sized) crate but wished I'd have gone up one size. Chicks grow fast and MHP takes up a good portion of a brooder. Now, I just have them in for a day or so then they go out to the run.

[COLOR=141823]Got it DONE!! Went pretty smooth technically, learned some tricks that will be beneficial when doing the large run...where I will have some assistance and camaraderie.[/COLOR] [COLOR=141823]Chicks were very happy to be outside again, dove right into a huge dust bathing party. 42 feet of 1/2" HC, no more chicks heads stuck in wire.[/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
This is too cute!! Great job on the new boarders, doesn't look like you'll have another accident. Can't wait to get my girls out to play in the dirt.

Yup large cardboard box for right now is probably easiest....I taped together two Lowe's medium moving boxes i had left over, we were good until about four weeks, MHP and all! No worries...gives you lotsa time to work on coop as mentioned above! Terry H (scroll back recently) built a great huge brooder from a fridge box...
I needed a large box, so went to Lowes. Of course I entered through the garden center, and the lady at the cash register was most helpful She made several calls to some likely departments, but no empty boxes. So... I went in and cruised the store. Found some boxes of silver faced bubble insulation. One box 3/4 full, and an other 1/4 full. Now, it's been a long time since I was in school, but my math skills didn't let me down! I talked to an other sales clerk for permission, and quickly found myself an empty box. Gotta love zip ties. I used them to fashion a lid. Chickies doing well in their brooder box till I can find time to get them moved out to their coop. I gave them a perch to play on today. They're finally getting bold and playing with the sod clump.

Duck tape would be appropriate....hahahaha!
But, only if you have ducks!!

Quote:
Unless the underside of a goose is somehow different than that of a chicken, I see no reason why a properly sized MHP wouldn't work quite well.

I'm so excited that my coop was delivered today!!!

CUTE! It doesn't look like you are having any integration problems with the younger chicks and the older one. What breed is that? I've not see a chick that color before
big_smile.png

Thanks, I think this is about my favorite age with chicks. They are so tentative but soooo curious that it doesn't take them long to decide to venture about...

I think the greyish chick to the right is a male based on the tail feathers, wings and I think I see the beginning of a comb at 3 weeks. We will see, we need a replacement roo so hoping to get a blue egg gene male.

These smarties decided to roost their first day in the run and seeing roosts.

If they are happily hanging with the older chickens and up on roosts, I wouldn't be surprised to find them in the "wrong" bedroom. Since you WANT a roo, I hope it is one
smile.png
Do you know about the https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included thread? First thing to look for in an EE is a 3 row pea comb. USUALLY those are cockerels.

I'm freaking out that my brooder is way too small. Here is what I built yesterday

The two plastic bottles are today's project they will be the feeder and waterer and are in for size reference.

The MHP takes up more than half of the box! My long term plan was to cut a whole in the side so that they could run around they're coop in a few weeks. The coop is just an old converted shed

I have both a straw bale and a giant bag of shavings. My question is this. Is that way too small to be starting 6 ducklings in? I can cut a hole in the tub early and maybe block in an area with the bale, but I'm worried that at least in that first day or two they might "get lost" and not be able to find their way back to the heating pad.

Thoughts?

I see no reason to do anything with a "brooder", you have a nice large space there already. They don't NEED a smaller space, people do it, especially in the house, because they don't want the chicks having the run of the place. I think I would make a 2' high 1/2" hardware cloth "fence" and put it across the opening. You can step over but it will be a couple of weeks (if they are like chicks) before they can get over it.
That way when you open the door, you will have some idea of where they are
wink.png
You will likely want a 1x6 across the front anyway (make it removable for easy cleanout) to keep the bedding in the coop.

I also think I would figure out some way to get a window in the door so you can see through. I don't have a window in the barn door but I know where my chickens are in the morning. Standing RIGHT in front of it ready to stampede out as soon as I open it.

Unless the underside of a goose is somehow different than that of a chicken, I see no reason why a properly sized MHP wouldn't work quite well.

Been doing a lot of thinking. Goslings are also heavier than chicks and I don't want them walking on top of the cave and then collapsing it. We have a lot of shelves from old refrigerators and stoves out in the garage (his parents were pack rats). I'm thinking of using one of those like the heating plates I've seen advertised but higher in the front than in the back. That way the ducks can got to the lower part and the goslings will have the head room they need. Will lay the heating pad on the shelf and then drape a towel over the whole thing. Just have to make some adjustable legs which shouldn't be a problem. It should work for at least a couple weeks until those goslings get huge. By then it should be warm enough that they won't even need heat during the day, just a bit at night. By then I might be able to use the heating pad on the floor. They could lay on it if they are cold and then drape the area with a big towel.

Not having any experience with goslings I have no idea how fast they grow. Thirty years ago my youngest son brought home a duckling. We knew nothing about them. Only heat it got was a jar of hot water wrapped in a towel. It was so lonesome it cheeped all night so I slept with my hand in its box for 2 weeks to make it feel as if someone was with her. Made a great house pet except they didn't sell diapers then. I was taping sanitary napkins to the duck every day. Finally found her a new home with a farmer who raised that kind of duck as we were military and getting ready to move.

OUR CHICKS ARE HERE!!! :)

Questions though...what should the height of the MHP be? Just above their backs when they are laying down sleeping? Or touching when they are standing?

And what setting do you use for the heating pad? I have the same one Blooie has with the 6 settings and "stay on" feature. Right now I have it set to 6. But because we just brought them home and it's evening, they were chilled from the trip and now I don't know if they are just trying to warm up and need the heat or if they are okay and I should turn it down.

Will my chicks be okay switching from a heat lamp to the MHP? They were born on Wednesday and I just got them today. Up until now they've been under a heat lamp.

Also, is it normal for them not to drink right away? They went for the food but not for the water.
Thanks for the help!!

Here are our three girls! :)

Back
Top Bottom