Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I finally managed to get my roost and poop boards up. I need to make a ramp still

I have no life.... I am either outside working, mostly with my chickens or drinking coffee or eating lunch in front of my Putor. I am on it like 22.46 hours a day..

I can keep up with every thread here except this one.......

I have finally been humbled by posting fanatics..I go out for and hour or two and come back to 4523 unread posts on this thread!1

Grats,,,

Oh boy! Guess what people! The hatchery moved my hatch date up a month! So my new EE chicks are coming on May 10! I'll be re-joining the MHP Brigade!

I already kicked the previous pullets out of the grow-coop and pen, but that's all I've done so far to prepare for the blessed event!

I need to get busy!

I'll return in a week with pics!

hey all! I'm a newbie, but I love the idea of this type of warmth for my chicks!

They are in my 60 degree basement so I had a heat lamp AND and electric radiator in my craft room (where their baby pool brooder is.) on full blast, I was able to get the room to 80 degrees and then the heat lamp did the rest, but my darling husband is horrified at what the electric bill will look like if I keep that up. Today, I made one of these using a wooden stool and my 3 heating pads that I use for growing plants.

I wrapped towels around the heating pads and then covered everything in press and seal. I have 2 'over' and 1 'under' the stool hopefully making a little warm cave.

2 questions:
1: Does this look okay? I have the cords from the heating pads running under the sides of the brooder so they can't get to them.
2: how will I know if they are warm enough, too warm etc.

Oh boy! Guess what people! The hatchery moved my hatch date up a month! So my new EE chicks are coming on May 10! I'll be re-joining the MHP Brigade!

I already kicked the previous pullets out of the grow-coop and pen, but that's all I've done so far to prepare for the blessed event!

I need to get busy!

I'll return in a week with pics!
Ooh, I'm so excited! We've missed you around here!!!

Three new little ones (2-5 days old). It is going to be in the 50s at night for the next few days. They are outside on our patio until they are moved to the coop (still making sure the 10 week olds and the 3 year old are doing well before I make them share a roost and split the coop into 2 again).

I have my 3 little ones in the great dane's kennel with a heat mat (sold as winter use) and a 75 watt bulb. It is toasty warm, but not sure if it will be warm enough when it is in the low 50s out there.
I bought a heating pad to use, but the setup I had worked well for the last batch (now 10 weeks). It is huge though, not really sure why I didn't buy a smallish one since I only ever brood small batches.

My question - if I set up the heating pad, I'm guessing I need to ditch the heating mat too (along with the light, which I'm good ditching). But does the heating pad need to be low enough to touch the backs of everybody? I'm guessing it will still work just fine if I have it as a platform I can raise as needed instead of caved?

Oh yeah, can I fold my huge heating pad in half - loosely at the fold?

Last edited:
yesss.gif

@Blooie Just wanted to say thank you again for your original post on the heating pad idea!! My 3 week old chicks are loving it, and love being out in the coop! ( and I don't mind not having the dust and mess in the house as well lol ) . I belong to another chicken site, and had made mention on the MHP idea, and how it works for me, versus the 24/7 light. I have had so many people message me asking about it, saying they didn't know there were other options! I have told them this was NOT my idea, but I did get the idea from a wonderful person.
So with that being said, there are roughly 6 new people that will be or are converting to the MHP. I do believe the idea is catching on!!

Now I have a question for all of you. My littles are 3 weeks old, and have yet to have their feet on the grass and dirt. At what age can I turn them loose in the run, and will they learn on their own to go back up the ramp and into the coop, or do I need to teach them somehow to use the ramp?

Back
Top Bottom