Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Love this thread! I started reading on page 1, thinking it was only 18 pages long...HAH Anyhow I skipped through a lot for now. (Will go back read more later). However, in a bit of a panic as eggs should hatch next TH and I do NOT want to use my heat lamp. So I plan on trying to make a MH in the next few days and get this set up. A few questions:

1) I have 28 Salmon Faverolles eggs that should hatch. Brooder will be inside/basement around 55-60 degrees. Will one of these Sunbeam X-Lrg work for that many?

I use a water trough that's aprox 18 x 36 for brooding and would prefer not to need 2 MH set up.

2) Has anyone tried using a small plastic rubbermaid type container upside down and cut a door in a side? or 2 sides?

Thinking if I found one shallow enough, I could elevate the front end to provide different heat

ETA: I hope to sell a lot of these soon after hatching, so would open up room shortly (but can't count on it)

Last edited:
Love this thread! I started reading on page 1, thinking it was only 18 pages long...HAH Anyhow I skipped through a lot for now. (Will go back read more later). However, in a bit of a panic as eggs should hatch next TH and I do NOT want to use my heat lamp. So I plan on trying to make a MH in the next few days and get this set up. A few questions:

1) I have 28 Salmon Faverolles eggs that should hatch. Brooder will be inside/basement around 55-60 degrees. Will one of these Sunbeam X-Lrg work for that many?

I use a water trough that's aprox 18 x 36 for brooding and would prefer not to need 2 MH set up.

2) Has anyone tried using a small plastic rubbermaid type container upside down and cut a door in a side? or 2 sides?

Thinking if I found one shallow enough, I could elevate the front end to provide different heat

ETA: I hope to sell a lot of these soon after hatching, so would open up room shortly (but can't count on it)

It's important to know and realize the HP is not a radiant heater like a heat lamp...it's a contact heater, so the chicks need to be in contact with the HP, preferably against their backs and not their feet. It would be difficult to get that to happen using a Rubbermaid container....don't know of any shallow enough to bring the HP into contact with the chick's backs.

If using 2 HPs, it's best if they are used in conjunction with one another and not as separate spaces at a distance from one another, as it's likely the chicks will crowd under one and leave the other empty.

Not sure of the dimensions of the pad you mention, but if it's as large~wide and long~ as two good sized hens when spread flat, it should do the trick.

I saw a heat pad for sale at TSC in the chick department during chicks days this year, shown it used on the floor which is not a new technique really. Can't remember the size/cost, think I may have posted about here back then, but it was pricey.

It was similar to the hard kennel pad that I used in my outdoor MHP...but much smaller (1/6th the size?) and costing more ($45-50).

It's important to know and realize the HP is not a radiant heater like a heat lamp...it's a contact heater, so the chicks need to be in contact with the HP, preferably against their backs and not their feet. It would be difficult to get that to happen using a Rubbermaid container....don't know of any shallow enough to bring the HP into contact with the chick's backs.

If using 2 HPs, it's best if they are used in conjunction with one another and not as separate spaces at a distance from one another, as it's likely the chicks will crowd under one and leave the other empty.

Not sure of the dimensions of the pad you mention, but if it's as large~wide and long~ as two good sized hens when spread flat, it should do the trick.

Beekissed-long time no see!

That makes perfect sense; keep reminding myself that part of the beauty with this is how it mimics mama hen. The pad I mentioned is one thats been posted her a few times and I believe is 12 x 24? I would think that would mimic a broody hen. Shoot, some of my broodys flatten out to what looks like an elephant when they are really cranky/protective LOL

Your water trough would not be big enough for 2 MHP IMO. If your basement is otherwise animal proof, you could get a large appliance box. YOu might as well put a cover over it right from the start, b/c by 2 weeks old, they'll be able to fly out! Also, I think you're going to be maxed out with 20 chicks under one pad. One reader had issue with putting 2 pads in one brooder. Because of the flock mentality, they all squished under one pad, resulting in a couple of deaths. When brooding a large number of chicks (IMO more than 10) I recommend leaving both front and back of the pad open so the chicks can more easily get in/out and you won't have issue with some chicks getting blocked in by their bigger siblings. I would be scared to death about using a plastic container upside down because it does not breathe. Chicks are at risk of pig piling to start with. If pig piling in a plastic container, you're sure to have some deaths. Are you talking about using the plastic container for your MHP frame? If so PLEASE DON'T! It's best to stick with the simple wire frame so you can adjust as needed to provide more height as the chicks grow. Also, recommend enclosing pad AND frame in a pillow case, or otherwise wrapping in fabric to keep chicks from getting stuck in the frame, or stuck between the frame and the pad. There have been a number of deaths related to exposed frame.

Your water trough would not be big enough for 2 MHP IMO. If your basement is otherwise animal proof, you could get a large appliance box. YOu might as well put a cover over it right from the start, b/c by 2 weeks old, they'll be able to fly out! Also, I think you're going to be maxed out with 20 chicks under one pad. One reader had issue with putting 2 pads in one brooder. Because of the flock mentality, they all squished under one pad, resulting in a couple of deaths. When brooding a large number of chicks (IMO more than 10) I recommend leaving both front and back of the pad open so the chicks can more easily get in/out and you won't have issue with some chicks getting blocked in by their bigger siblings. I would be scared to death about using a plastic container upside down because it does not breathe. Chicks are at risk of pig piling to start with. If pig piling in a plastic container, you're sure to have some deaths. Are you talking about using the plastic container for your MHP frame? If so PLEASE DON'T! It's best to stick with the simple wire frame so you can adjust as needed to provide more height as the chicks grow. Also, recommend enclosing pad AND frame in a pillow case, or otherwise wrapping in fabric to keep chicks from getting stuck in the frame, or stuck between the frame and the pad. There have been a number of deaths related to exposed frame.

Thank you-all great points! My basement is 2500 sq ft partially finished lol so yes it animal proof (Using one of our daughters rooms downstairs that has since moved off to college-hardwood floors-easy clean)

When I used this water trough in the past as a brooder, I put screening over the top and it worked well. Once the were too big for this, moved them outside. However, I am hoping to sell all but a handful of these, and the few I want to keep-I have a eye on a broody hen I am hoping to use (Shes glued flat to her nestbox for the past week but she would be a first time mom)

Good point about the plastic container-BeeKissed also reminding me that that would prevent the benefits of this simulating a hen. I am thinking my better half can put together the bakers rack on adjustable legs shown at the beginning of this thread pretty quickly-as long as Amazon comes through on their end with shpg.

Quote:

That certainly changes the game if they can also sell something to take the place of what they already sell that has a higher price. Then there would be an incentive for encouraging folks to change their ways.

duc.gif

Quote:

That certainly changes the game if they can also sell something to take the place of what they already sell that has a higher price. Then there would be an incentive for encouraging folks to change their ways.

duc.gif

Heating pads and plates are really nothing new....and they've always been more expensive than the heat lamps....the 'backyard movement' has changed many things.

How high is the coop off the ground?
How steep is the ramp?
Does the ramp have wood cleats every 3"?

If the drop is a lot (for a 3" high chick) - scary
If the ramp is steep - scary
If there are no cleats and the ramp is a "slip and slide" both up and down - scary.

As much as we are all amazed at them just naturally knowing what they should do (scratch, dust bath, etc) we do have to remember they are just babies and naturally cautious about things that could be painful (like falling 3 feet from the top of the ramp). Also good to remember that if they were raised by a hen "in the wild", they would be out on relatively flat ground, not up high in a big box so the ramp is quite unnatural.

Ok, soooo apparently I was just over anxious or nervous about them figuring out the pop door and ramp, lol. I opened the pop door this morning to let them out, and at first they were a little scared. But as this day has gone on,, they are in and out of the coop and have this ramp thing figured out!

Thank you-all great points! My basement is 2500 sq ft partially finished lol so yes it animal proof (Using one of our daughters rooms downstairs that has since moved off to college-hardwood floors-easy clean)

When I used this water trough in the past as a brooder, I put screening over the top and it worked well. Once the were too big for this, moved them outside. However, I am hoping to sell all but a handful of these, and the few I want to keep-I have a eye on a broody hen I am hoping to use (Shes glued flat to her nestbox for the past week but she would be a first time mom)

Good point about the plastic container-BeeKissed also reminding me that that would prevent the benefits of this simulating a hen. I am thinking my better half can put together the bakers rack on adjustable legs shown at the beginning of this thread pretty quickly-as long as Amazon comes through on their end with shpg.

Please let me know how this goes for you--- I have 25 on the way as early as next week. Amazon already provided the 12" x 24" sunbeam heating pad. I had planned on making the MHP the same way-- bakers rack and adjustable hardware legs, or very similar. Brisnea markets a heating plate for 20 chicks that is 12" x 8", so I am hopeful this will be more than enough with open ends and our warmer temps showing up. If not, we will have to regroup and adjust
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom