Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Thanks for the replies, and for the compliment, aart
smile.png
Now I just have to figure out how to do the chickie door(s)... I can easily cut openings in the hardware cloth but I'm not sure how to do it in a way that allows me to close them again if necessary, and to avoid sharp edges. Suggestions are welcome, lol! Plus I need to pick up chicken wire and get busy putting that around the pen. The fence is 5+ feet tall; would 3 foot wire be enough, do you think? I plan on using 1" mesh.

Take two thin pieces of plywood, if you want these to be permanent, or cut out two pieces of thick cardboard. Fasten hinges on the two pieces so they work together. Cut an oval or rectangular 5 x 7 inch opening in one. then secure the two over your hole in the hardware cloth so it makes a nicely framed opening. Fasten the solid "cover" open until you need to drop it down over the hole to contain the chicks. See my article linked below on brooding outdoors for pictures of these so you can better get the idea.

Take two thin pieces of plywood, if you want these to be permanent, or cut out two pieces of thick cardboard. Fasten hinges on the two pieces so they work together. Cut an oval or rectangular 5 x 7 inch opening in one. then secure the two over your hole in the hardware cloth so it makes a nicely framed opening. Fasten the solid "cover" open until you need to drop it down over the hole to contain the chicks. See my article linked below on brooding outdoors for pictures of these so you can better get the idea.

Awesome:) Thanks!! Since mine is inside the coop, I think cardboard will work well enough; plus then I won't need power tools, lol. Cardboard and duct tape!!:-D

Awesome:) Thanks!! Since mine is inside the coop, I think cardboard will work well enough; plus then I won't need power tools, lol. Cardboard and duct tape!!:-D

I'm partial to those colored and patterned rolls of duct tape, myself. You could get a nice floral pattern in hot pink or a nice, calm blue or green and cover the cardboard with it to make the cardboard impervious to moisture. No reason why a chicken coop can't sport a bit of colorful decor.

Thanks for the replies, and for the compliment, aart
smile.png
Now I just have to figure out how to do the chickie door(s)... I can easily cut openings in the hardware cloth but I'm not sure how to do it in a way that allows me to close them again if necessary, and to avoid sharp edges. Suggestions are welcome, lol! Plus I need to pick up chicken wire and get busy putting that around the pen. The fence is 5+ feet tall; would 3 foot wire be enough, do you think? I plan on using 1" mesh.

We used 24" wire and the chicks hopped/flew over it and out at 3 weeks old. If you can afford 48", I would go that far. Hopefully that would allow them to get too big to get through your wire fencing before they could fly up that far. I do not have the personal experience to know for sure.

I cut out the holes in the hardware cloth using tin snips. We lined the holes with folded-over electrical tape so there are no sharp edges. Once I cut open the holes I just left them open. When I want to close them up for next brooding time, I will cut out larger pieces of hardware cloth and tack them in with zipties or wire. Azygous's solution for closable holes is great though. I agree that you want to make sure the hole you cut will not admit your larger birds. The holes we cut are 3" by 5" tall, or so.

--V

edited to fix contributor's name for cardboard/closeable holes

Last edited:
I am about half way through this huge and informative thread and I just need to post a big thank you to Blooie for sharing this wonderful method for brooding chicks!! I was also not surprised to see that Beekissed was involved in developing this as I have learned so much from her about feeding fermented feed and all things related to raising chickens. I haven't been around much the past few years as life got in the way and I lost most of my beautiful flock to a predator last winter. I have photos of them in my gallery if anyone is interested in seeing them. That really took the wind out of my sails and I took a break.

I am looking forward to starting a new flock and I have 8 chicks coming the week of the 26th. I plan on raising these chicks in the coop from day 1 as I did with the last flock. I am really excited to use the MHP instead of the dreaded heat lamp. I never liked them even when brooding in a large space. I cringe when I see photos of chicks in plastic totes being blasted with those things.

I bought the 12" x 15" sunbeam pad because I figured it would be plenty big enough for 8 chicks. I will be sure and post picks once I get it set up and have my chicks.

Thanks again for such a great thread!! It is good to be back. I have missed having chickens this summer.

I am about half way through this huge and informative thread and I just need to post a big thank you to Blooie for sharing this wonderful method for brooding chicks!! I was also not surprised to see that Beekissed was involved in developing this as I have learned so much from her about feeding fermented feed and all things related to raising chickens. I haven't been around much the past few years as life got in the way and I lost most of my beautiful flock to a predator last winter. I have photos of them in my gallery if anyone is interested in seeing them. That really took the wind out of my sails and I took a break.

I am looking forward to starting a new flock and I have 8 chicks coming the week of the 26th. I plan on raising these chicks in the coop from day 1 as I did with the last flock. I am really excited to use the MHP instead of the dreaded heat lamp. I never liked them even when brooding in a large space. I cringe when I see photos of chicks in plastic totes being blasted with those things.

I bought the 12" x 15" sunbeam pad because I figured it would be plenty big enough for 8 chicks. I will be sure and post picks once I get it set up and have my chicks.

Thanks again for such a great thread!! It is good to be back. I have missed having chickens this summer.
hugs.gif
Jeapa, I am sorry about the loss of your flock. I know how devastating that can be. I have a feeling we all have lost at one time or another. Welcome back into the chicken world!

Back
Top Bottom