Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

aart, can the huddle box just be cardboard? I assume it shouldn't be too much bigger than this bowl (so the 7th chick can join and they have a little room to move, but it forces them to be close enough to share heat?).
Absolutely.

Here's my blurb on huddle boxes:
Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

And here's a pic of one, only 2 chicks in it in the pic but the other 2 will also fit in there:

Ken had to go down to Cody today to meet with one of his Masonic buddies and drop off a packet of information. When he came home he had a "surprise" for me - he'd stopped at the feed store just to see what they had and came home with 3 Silkies to make up for some of the ones we lost, and 3 other little bantams. I have no idea what they are, but they sure are cute.....and very, very tiny. <gulp> I'm going to look them up in a bit and see what they are. Oh, brother. Um, thanks Ken. I think.

I'd day Ken is a keeper for sure! It may be more work for you but you gotta admit, thats kind of sweet. I'm a sucker for a guy bearing fuzzy, warm and furry things as gifts
big_smile.png

Long time since I've used a MHP... um... a year? I've got chicks settled in in unheated garage, pad set at 4. They are quiet. Should I be worried about them getting too cold as things cool off tonight? Getting down to around 30*. About 1/2" of cardboard and an inch of shavings between them and cement floor.

New chicks should arrive via USPS tomorrow morning. I bought a second 12 x 24 pad for them. Found that hot melt glue gun does a fantastic job covering the sharp nubs where wire fencing was cut!

Hey, LG.... I think they'll be okay, but it wouldn't do any harm if you're more comfortable going to 5 for the first couple of nights. Remember too that the cardboard and shavings will hold heat as well. But we see my track record this chick season. ;) You guys have been getting totally hammered with cold and snow this winter - here in Wyoming it was 79 degrees today! The hot glue idea is BRILLIANT for covering the pokey-outlies and I am SO stealing it! Thanks!

Long time since I've used a MHP... um... a year? I've got chicks settled in in unheated garage, pad set at 4. They are quiet. Should I be worried about them getting too cold as things cool off tonight? Getting down to around 30*. About 1/2" of cardboard and an inch of shavings between them and cement floor.

New chicks should arrive via USPS tomorrow morning. I bought a second 12 x 24 pad for them. Found that hot melt glue gun does a fantastic job covering the sharp nubs where wire fencing was cut!
The glue gun is a great idea. We just built another MHP to enalble us raise it easier for the growth of the babies. We still used 2"x4" welded wire but I used my Dremel tool and 2 different grinding wheels to smooth the cut nubs out. Your method is much faster. I made a 1/4" thick wooden perimeter as a frame for the wire and then used 4 lengths of all thread as legs. I put a nut above and below the wooden frame and just moved the all thread up or down to fix the length. Only drawback I see is you need to have some all thread sticking above the MHP so that you have more adjustment to the height. No wonder this thread is nearing 10,000 POSTS!! We still use a small blanket/towel and pillow case to encase the metal/wood.

Last edited:

Hey, LG.... I think they'll be okay, but it wouldn't do any harm if you're more comfortable going to 5 for the first couple of nights. Remember too that the cardboard and shavings will hold heat as well. But we see my track record this chick season.
wink.png
You guys have been getting totally hammered with cold and snow this winter - here in Wyoming it was 79 degrees today! The hot glue idea is BRILLIANT for covering the pokey-outlies and I am SO stealing it! Thanks!

I'm totally trying that next time I have to redo one...
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom