Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Here's what I came up with today and I'm happy with it. I used a piece of 1/8" x 1" aluminum. I drilled and tapped holes for the legs and bolted the aluminum to the cooling rack. The legs were a little wobbly, since there are only a few threads for the bolt to go through. I decided to put wing nuts on top and that keeps them from wobbling. To adjust the height, I loosen the wing nut, turn the leg and tighten the wing nut. It's better/easier than loosing and tightening top and bottom nuts. I'll have to make an article, after I set this up for my new chicks. Then I'll have the heating pad wrapped up, attached to the rack and new chicks to show off. It's a 12 x 24 heat pad.

mama heat pad 1.jpg

Mama heat pad front.jpg

Bottom of rack
Mama heat pad bottom.jpg

Mama heat pad w pad.jpg

We got our first flock of 9 pullets on 2/20. I used a piece of welded wire fence (12" x 16"), a heating pad and a towel for a heat source in the brooder. So far we have had great success. It's a great method to warm the chicks.
My favorite thing is to turn the lamp (for light only) and watch them all scurry out of the heating cave to say hello.

Howdy y'all

This is my third year of raising chicks using the MHP method. The first year my chicks arrived during the middle of April, then last year it was the end of May before my ordered chicks arrived. Both years I put the kennel I had the MHP set up in out in the coop rather than inside the house, but it was warm enough outside that I had no reason to worry. But i was a bit concerned about trying to raise them outside this year since my order is supposed to ship the week of March 25 when it will still be cooler here.

So a couple of weeks ago I went to Rural King to pick up supplies and fell victim to chirping! By the time I got home it was nearly dark and the big girls were about to go to bed, so I quickly set up the MHP in a plastic tub in the garage and put my six babies in with it. The next day I got the kennel unfolded and wrapped in hardware cloth, grabbed the MHP and put it inside, then went back to the garage for my six chicks. One of them was missing from the tub! So I took the five remaining up to the coop and put them in their kennel . I never did find the sixth one...it just totally disappeared!

Anyway, the weather has been extraordinarily warm since they've been in the coop. But Monday night we had a cold front come through that dropped the temps down into the mid-20's. So fearing the worst I went up to check on the chicks. Sure enough, the 3 biggest ones were out and about, but the two little ones were under the MHP laying on their sides, not moving. I came back to the garage to get a small, kid-sized rake so I could reach back to the back of the kennel to get them out . But before I could get back to the coop it started pouring down rain. It rained hard all day yesterday too, so today I went back up to the coop with a heavy heart to do the sad deed. Imagine my surprise when I got there and saw all five of them running around in the kennel like they hadn't broke my heart! The little boogers were faking me out!!

No... I don't think I'll have to worry about the ones coming next month.

Donna

They certainly do pull at your heart strings! I hate it when you get one that totally disappears. You can see me in the coop on hands and knees looking everywhere.

I am glad they are doing well. Keep up the good work.

FF83BC89-E3DE-467D-A063-232383362F47.jpeg
Just an update on the Momma Heating System. I absolutely love this.
On their 1 week birthday I moved them into the bigger brooder made out of a refrigerator carton and chicken wire.
They are so active with running and flapping around. They are in and out of the momma cave all day, but as it gets dark they all disappear, with peace and quiet till morning.
What an amazing and brilliant system.

:D

Some refrigerators actually still come in cardboard boxes?
I made a little "stadium" style of "roosting" bars for my babies, they never used it. Oh well.

By the way, the opening in a MHP cave is usually the long side of the frame.

Back
Top Bottom