Mama hen accidently stepping on chicks, yikes

Sylver Queen

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
Hello!

I am a first-time hatcher of chicks beneath a hen and it is wonderful. She did an amazing job setting (7 out of 8 first try!), is a dedicated mama even though she's just under a year old, my only issue seems to be that she's fairly high strung and while she's gentle and attentive as can be with her baes she keeps stomping on them when she gets distracted or worked up. Like, I've been keeping an eye on one since she stomped it yesterday (their first day off the nest!) and just now she stomped a different one. It takes her an obnoxiously long moment to realize why they're screaming too, but then she huddles down to keep everyone warm right after. I am worried about the babies, but I think me being out there is likely distracting her so while she likes the treats I bring and feeds them to the littles, I try to only interact with them a couple of times a day. I've seen other people's hens stomp their chicks a bit before and some get injured, some don't, but how normal is this?? Just a nervous first-timer over here, overly fussy, but would love to hear stories of experiences, or even chick resilience! 😅 They're all moving okay, but definitely in deal mode right after.

Thanks for listening, and I'm excited to be among the hatchers out there!

Congrats on the new chicks!!

It happens especially the first few days when they're so tiny. But then in just a couple of days, it doesn't happen so often and by a week, they're the ones stepping on momma as they're now strong enough to crawl on top! Usually, she doesn't hurt them as the moment she's stepping on one she realizes it and steps off. It's worse if she's stressed.

Congrats on the new chicks!!

It happens especially the first few days when they're so tiny. But then in just a couple of days, it doesn't happen so often and by a week, they're the ones stepping on momma as they're now strong enough to crawl on top! Usually, she doesn't hurt them as the moment she's stepping on one she realizes it and steps off. It's worse if she's stressed.
Thank you so much, Debbie! 😊🐣 I will limit her stress as best I can. The one who got stomped most recently was already trying to jump on top of her! Probably a roo, haha. I appreciate your response!

You can always have a freak accident, but they are a lot tougher than you'd think looking at them. I've seen a hen get chicks to jump out of a ten feet high hay loft, hit the ground, bounce up, and run to her. They are a lot braver than I am. I've seen a chick cross behind a hen just as she was scratching. That chick went flying two or three feet and ran back to Mama unhurt. It wasn't even upset.

When you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with injured or dead animals. That's an unfortunate fact of life whether it is chickens or pet dogs or cats. I usually have three or four different broody hens raise chicks each year. I also raise chicks in a brooder without a hen. It is extremely rare for a chick to be injured or die in either case. I trust my broody hens to take care of their chicks. They do as good a job or better than me.

You can always have a freak accident, but they are a lot tougher than you'd think looking at them. I've seen a hen get chicks to jump out of a ten feet high hay loft, hit the ground, bounce up, and run to her. They are a lot braver than I am. I've seen a chick cross behind a hen just as she was scratching. That chick went flying two or three feet and ran back to Mama unhurt. It wasn't even upset.

When you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with injured or dead animals. That's an unfortunate fact of life whether it is chickens or pet dogs or cats. I usually have three or four different broody hens raise chicks each year. I also raise chicks in a brooder without a hen. It is extremely rare for a chick to be injured or die in either case. I trust my broody hens to take care of their chicks. They do as good a job or better than me.
Thank you for the stories and encouragement! I've had quite a few experiences and losses over the years, and I've raised chicks myself but never with a mama, so it's good to hear how tough they are out there. :) I had a 2-week old attacked by a hawk once, it attacked the fence she was standing next to and managed to get one little slice in and it lacerated her air sac. She healed overnight and went back out with the brood! A 10-day-old got attacked by a scrub jay, bad head wound and 48 hours of unconsciousness, gorgeous lady who lays big brown eggs now. :D They are amazing. I'm looking forward to getting more experience hatching!

All seven doing great so far. 💕💕💕 And here is the young...man? who was stomped, now getting a better view of things from the top of Mama. :D

Attachments

• PXL_20240418_000457787.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240418_000457787.PORTRAIT.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom