The mama hen…is a rooster?

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
With our last run of meat birds, we got a mystery chick, who we named Chili Pepper. About a month or two later, Chili is still small and cute, and we put her with three chicks, one whom we hatched ourselves.
She sat on them, despite her not being much older than they, and she was a great mama.
But guess what, Chili is a beilefelder, and she is a HE.
Is it normal for Roos to sit on babies if given the chance?! Cuz we BELIEVED that Chili Pepper was a hen!
Now she’s obviously a rooster, though, but we have too many Roos….
What are your thoughts on this?

I don't know but is Chili a good dad?
We put Chili with the adults now, even though I would have wished for him to stay with the chicks, but before we put his with the adults, he started to chase one of the chicks, and we thought he was weaning them. I dunno, but he was a great Mama when we thought he was a hen!

We put Chili with the adults now, even though I would have wished for him to stay with the chicks, but before we put his with the adults, he started to chase one of the chicks, and we thought he was weaning them. I dunno, but he was a great Mama when we thought he was a hen!
Ther is no way my rooster would be nice to chicks. :lauHe is a little on the mean side.

Back
Top Bottom