The mama hen…is a rooster?

We have a pet rooster in with our waterfowl. He's got a lot on his mind about nests. He has semi adopted the duck flocks and I will find him resting on a duck nest occasionally. He figured out pretty quickly we liked to find the eggs and would point out covered nests and errant eggs for us, and say we've put down fresh bedding, he will go sit in a nice new depression and make tid bit noises, squishing it down like hes trying to point out a good place for the ducks to make their new nest. He's quite a character. Hes almost 2 years old now - barred rock.

I know a lot of people might not like to hear this but we raise our chickens for meat as well as eggs and something pretty uniform across the roosters that are small is that we think they are under developed or late bloomers. They always have small testicles when they're butchered, are leaner, have more feminine features, are very non aggressive but can be "weird" personality wise.

IMG_20170515_175846702_Original.jpeg
Young large fowl cockerel sitting on a much younger bantam cockerel.

Last edited:
We had 2 chicks we hatched out right before going to HI, I know that was not a good idea, but it was winter, and my DH decided last min. to get out of dodge. Anyhoo, my dad cared for them while we were gone, and when we got back I wanted more chicks. I had a friend who had chickens and he tried to keep them from having babies (collecting eggs)...but one ran off and hatched under a shed. He let me grab 2 little chicks to take home. Even though they were brand new, and the chicks I hatched were 6 weeks old or so, one boy and one girl, they were both so happy to have friends. The boy squatted down to be at there level and talk to the babies, and showed them how to eat.

George got to raise those chicks, (Not related.) Then the chicks he raised raised the next batch of chicks below...(they are standing in the black tray and are 3 weeks older, but bantam so they look the same size.) Also not related.
geor.PNG

They are all still together in an out door pen. 2 of these, raised chicks behind them, and soon a chick from that batch will raise a different unrelated group, I just hatched.

Back
Top Bottom