Maple Sugaring: Making Granulated Maple Sugar

Wow I would love to be free like that. I grow all my own veggies and fruit and always wanted to do maple syrup but dont have the trees. I think it is amazing to make your own sugar and probably tastes so much better! Sugar is one of those things we eat so much of that making it yourself is a wonderful idea! One day when I have a real farm I am going to try this, until then I guess I will just be the canning and freezing queen.

Hey Frugal have you ever thought of building an appleseed converter? or is it too cold in VT for it to be worth it?

I am also wanting to put in a irrigation water collection system. There is this cool company called invisible structures that makes them, and one could harvest all of the rain water for all sorts of uses. I wish it was something I could build myself but I think I will just save up one day and buy the system.

I know this is an older thread but could you tell me about how long it takes from when you put it in the mixer until it turns to sugar

I wonder what some of that maple sugar would taste like in tea. I think it would be good. I also can imagine it being used in many types of cookies, pies, breads, and cakes.

It would be nice to have 300 acres and try to live a self-sustaining lifestyle. He mentioned setting up solar power, hydro power, and a methane generator. That is very impressive.

I have seen videos of people on YouTube who make wood-gas generators to run engines in trucks, tractors, and electric generators. It would be fun to try these things.

All I can say is, good for him, and I hope he's still living a self-sustaining lifestyle.

I think it would be fantastic, I just can't afford maple syrup by the gallon when I pay 8-10 dollars for a pint or less to make some for my tea
big_smile.png
However I did come across a few taps and stuck them in my dreams box....

Well, thats too bad hes' left!! I also tap maple trees, and make skads of syrup!! And candy. I guess now I can whip the syrup until it goes this way!! I like to make all my own stuff, and also have 2 hives. I can use as much maple syrup and honey in any recipe or on its own as I want, without wincing at the cost. Like him, we have our own woodlot (30 acres hardwood bush), and have had the syrup supplies for 20 some years. The only thing I go out and buy occassionally are filters, and spials. Its just alot of work, but oh so worth it!!

I joined this forum just to reply to this post.. But I do want to raise chickens, glad I found this place!

The OP was asked "why" but there was never an answer. I think the answer is "because he can" and in a scenario for whatever reason we can not get sugar, this is a great skill to have. Maple sugar is also healthier than cane sugar from what I can gather.

Back
Top Bottom