Maran?

Jsawa

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
8 week old “black copper marans” from TSC. The one on the left definitely appears to be. The one on the right has different skin, iridescent black feathers and does not have copper neck feathers. What did I get??

Attachments

• IMG_9404.png
    IMG_9404.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 113
8 week old “black copper marans” from TSC. The one on the left definitely appears to be. The one on the right has different skin, iridescent black feathers and does not have copper neck feathers. What did I get??
I don’t know. But I’m following to learn more. It’s an interesting looking bird.

Hatchery Marans are pretty variable, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is one. Or it could be a mystic onyx or midnight majesty, two hatchery Marans hybrids.

Like Easter Eggers, (EEs), Marans have become a wildcard from hatchery stock.

The one on the far left looks like a black copper marans- at least from the "body up"- hard to tell without seeing the potentially feathered legs.

The one with the dark skin and comb could be a Marans hybrid-- like the Mystic or other hatchery crosses- darkish eggs and Marans-like confirmation.

Either way it looks like you have two pullets- so excellent news there.

For almost all of our practical uses- you have two Marans. Darker brown eggs than average, and pretty, U-shaped pullets. For those who want pure-breed Marans these are unlikely the right genetics- so unless you're breeding for 'Standard of Perfection' (SOP) you're in great shape.

Please repost when they start laying- will be cool to see the differences!

Perhaps dominant copper aka rustic rambler. They look a lot like mine.

Like Easter Eggers, (EEs), Marans have become a wildcard from hatchery stock.

The one on the far left looks like a black copper marans- at least from the "body up"- hard to tell without seeing the potentially feathered legs.

The one with the dark skin and comb could be a Marans hybrid-- like the Mystic or other hatchery crosses- darkish eggs and Marans-like confirmation.

Either way it looks like you have two pullets- so excellent news there.

For almost all of our practical uses- you have two Marans. Darker brown eggs than average, and pretty, U-shaped pullets. For those who want pure-breed Marans these are unlikely the right genetics- so unless you're breeding for 'Standard of Perfection' (SOP) you're in great shape.

Please repost when they start laying- will be cool to see the differences!
This was helpful. Thank you! They both have feathered legs. I will definitely update when they start to lay.

Back
Top Bottom