Marans egg flavor compared to others ?

iambebabeba

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2012
I just wanted to share this encase anyone else has wondered about Marans eggs flavor or had a similar experience . I did a blind taste test with my family with several breeds we were raising at the time. For the most part my children wouldn’t eat eggs because they thought they didn’t like them . After the taste test they will only eat Marans eggs and always prefer them with soft yolks. In the end Marans eggs were #1 for all six people . Everyone I have ever asked says Marans eggs taste just like any other egg but that is not the case for us. I have to say I have very sensitive taste and smell (so do my children , husband not so much) The breeds we tasted from below in order according to the taste test results . The birds all lived in the same way free ranging and were fed regular layer pellets. The eggs were all prepared the same way with just a bit of oil in the pan over medium with a little salt.
#2 RIR (was very close with the Marans)
#3 Dark Brahma
#4 white rock
#5 barred rock
#6 white leghorn
We all had the same reason we preferred the Marans eggs. The main reason is the least amount of “yolk eggyness.” I know that sounds silly but I’m referring to the flavor you might taste if you make a sweet bread or cake but can taste the yolk a lot in an unpleasant way . Well the Marans eggs barely have that yolk flavor if any . The yolk is noticeably thicker , richer. The whites of the marans eggs are also firmer. We noticed the yolks were very liquidy from the white leghorn . The Brahma and rocks were really in a tie to each other having similar taste and texture. RIR were a close second in mild yolk flavor and richness.
I only raise Marans now because if I’m going to raise birds for eggs they are going to be the most delicious eggs I can get. I would raise RIR also but don’t because the birds have been pretty vicious to each other in the past and I prefer peace in the coop.
I know plenty people won’t agree and that’s ok. I just wanted to share our personal experience with them incase you have very sensitive taste .
We had a visitor stay on the farm that hadn’t eaten French toast for many years because they said the eggyness grossed them out. So of coarse I made her some French toast and she was blown away. She said “I thought I hated eggs ? But this is so delicious” I did let her know she may be sensitive to that flavor like us . She said when she gets home she is going to see if she can find a local farm that sells Marans eggs because she really wanted more 😊

I find this very interesting, are the Marans French or English? And what colour?
Yes they are French marans . They are black copper marans. I have some hens that are descendants of Bev Davis line and my other hens are from Paradise Poultry .

I just wanted to share this encase anyone else has wondered about Marans eggs flavor or had a similar experience . I did a blind taste test with my family with several breeds we were raising at the time. For the most part my children wouldn’t eat eggs because they thought they didn’t like them . After the taste test they will only eat Marans eggs and always prefer them with soft yolks. In the end Marans eggs were #1 for all six people . Everyone I have ever asked says Marans eggs taste just like any other egg but that is not the case for us. I have to say I have very sensitive taste and smell (so do my children , husband not so much) The breeds we tasted from below in order according to the taste test results . The birds all lived in the same way free ranging and were fed regular layer pellets. The eggs were all prepared the same way with just a bit of oil in the pan over medium with a little salt.
#2 RIR (was very close with the Marans)
#3 Dark Brahma
#4 white rock
#5 barred rock
#6 white leghorn
We all had the same reason we preferred the Marans eggs. The main reason is the least amount of “yolk eggyness.” I know that sounds silly but I’m referring to the flavor you might taste if you make a sweet bread or cake but can taste the yolk a lot in an unpleasant way . Well the Marans eggs barely have that yolk flavor if any . The yolk is noticeably thicker , richer. The whites of the marans eggs are also firmer. We noticed the yolks were very liquidy from the white leghorn . The Brahma and rocks were really in a tie to each other having similar taste and texture. RIR were a close second in mild yolk flavor and richness.
I only raise Marans now because if I’m going to raise birds for eggs they are going to be the most delicious eggs I can get. I would raise RIR also but don’t because the birds have been pretty vicious to each other in the past and I prefer peace in the coop.
I know plenty people won’t agree and that’s ok. I just wanted to share our personal experience with them incase you have very sensitive taste .
We had a visitor stay on the farm that hadn’t eaten French toast for many years because they said the eggyness grossed them out. So of coarse I made her some French toast and she was blown away. She said “I thought I hated eggs ? But this is so delicious” I did let her know she may be sensitive to that flavor like us . She said when she gets home she is going to see if she can find a local farm that sells Marans eggs because she really wanted more 😊
I think all eggs have the same taste. The color of the eggs would be the only difference, unless color has a taste. I've raised Black copper marans and all the eggs tasted the same to me and my family. How were they prepared? Maybe we will have to try a test one day. 🤔

I think all eggs have the same taste. The color of the eggs would be the only difference, unless color has a taste. I've raised Black copper marans and all the eggs tasted the same to me and my family. How were they prepared? Maybe we will have to try a test one day. 🤔
I totally understand. I know lots of people that have Marans in there flock and tell me the same but I did point it out to a fellow farmer and she said after it was pointed out she noticed the stronger flavor in some of her eggs and wanted to do a taste test to because they never did a side by side comparison . We prepared them over medium with a little oil and salt only so we could really judge the flavor. I forget how long but i timed each side to make sure they were all the same. We made sure the hold were still runny.

I totally understand. I know lots of people that have Marans in there flock and tell me the same but I did point it out to a fellow farmer and she said after it was pointed out she noticed the stronger flavor in some of her eggs and wanted to do a taste test to because they never did a side by side comparison . We prepared them over medium with a little oil and salt only so we could really judge the flavor. I forget how long but i timed each side to make sure they were all the same. We made sure the hold were still runny.
That's really neat. I loved my Marans. They are beautiful birds with beautiful eggs. Sadly a neighbor dog got all of mine, starting over with a new flock. Patiently waiting on eggs, only 5 more or so months. Haha This time I chose a few different breeds that's I've not raised before. Enjoy those chocolate maran beauties!

Back
Top Bottom