"Marans" grew up. Clearly not a Marans. What is she?

Zemeraire

Songster
Jan 17, 2020
South West Australia
So in January this year I posted about the chicks I had purchased, one of which I purchased as a "Marans or Marans X".
Well she is all grown up and laying now, and is certainly not a Marans. While I feel a bit salty about paying extra for a more expensive breed and not getting what I paid for, I am mostly really curious about what breed she is. Especially since one of my other hens is broody and around 6 of the eggs under her are from this mystery hen.

I personally am leaning towards Australorp, due to appearance and local availability, but the comb and coppery colour on her cheeks are throwing me off. What does everyone think? She lays a pale creamy pinkish/brownish tinted egg, and lays almost every day.
20200904_143637.jpg

20200904_143640.jpg

So in January this year I posted about the chicks I had purchased, one of which I purchased as a "Marans or Marans X".
Well she is all grown up and laying now, and is certainly not a Marans. While I feel a bit salty about paying extra for a more expensive breed and not getting what I paid for, I am mostly really curious about what breed she is. Especially since one of my other hens is broody and around 6 of the eggs under her are from this mystery hen.

I personally am leaning towards Australorp, due to appearance and local availability, but the comb and coppery colour on her cheeks are throwing me off. What does everyone think? She lays a pale creamy pinkish/brownish tinted egg, and lays almost every day.
View attachment 2320825
View attachment 2320826
She's a mix.
Are her feet feathered or clean?

She's a mix.
Are her feet feathered or clean?

Clean feet

She is a mixed breed. ‘X’ means crossed/mixed. Where did you buy her?

The lady I purchased her off initially said she was a Marans, and changed that to Marans cross a couple weeks later when I questioned why she didn't look like one. I later learned her reputation as a stay at home mother who has only a few chooks herself but buys fertile eggs from others, hatches in an incubator and sells the chicks as extra income. I few others I talked too had bad experiences buying from her too. She lives about a half hour drive from my town.

I know she is likley a X, but do you think she has Marans in there or another cross. I still can't figure out where the comb would have come from lol. Its a Rose comb I think?

Doubting she has Marans in her if the eggs are pale and her feet clean. Although many Marans have clean feet.
Can you lift up her feet? What colour are they underneath?
It is a rose comb.

Back
Top Bottom