Marans - SOP discussion thread

Assuming this is the marans thread... xD

Does anyone have some for sale? I would REALLY like some hens for some choco eggs, thanks, please PM or post here if you know someone who might sell.

Chicks only please, unless your local in Alaska, fairbanks
You may have better luck in the spring, few people are hatching in the fall. Often hatching eggs are for sale then too.

Can you take a look at this hen that I picked up last night? I don't think she meets the SOP now that I am reading through it. She has distinct lacing on her chest and slight feathering on her middle toes. Opinions?

Can you take a look at this hen that I picked up last night? I don't think she meets the SOP now that I am reading through it. She has distinct lacing on her chest and slight feathering on her middle toes. Opinions?

I don't discount abird for having feathers on the middle toes-- it is not a DQ. I have bred birds with toe feathers to toe feathers, and have a wide variety of feathering result. I would want to hear from Snowbird before I chose a male suitable for her. Remeber that showbirds are not made from perfect show birds; they are made from two that are less than SOP. THis is a complicated breed. Hopefully Snowbird will be around to correct anything I 've said. I"ve only been learning for a yearish.

The standard posted on the first page says:
BACK: Wide at the shoulders, long, flat, slightly tilted to the rear. Slightly more inclined than that of the female.

I am still learning so this might be dumb question, but just trying to get the right picture in my head. From this I'm thinking that in a relaxed stance the back is basically flat, but the shoulders are slightly lower than the area right in front of the tail, so the back runs up hill towards the tail. I see a lot of birds of different breeds where the back runs uphill towards the neck and shoulders and that would be wrong for the Marans.

Does anyone have some pictures that show this? Also how about pictures from above? I'm thinking as a dual purpose bird the Marans should be as wide at the tail end as it is at the shoulders?

This looks to be the same Cochin Bantam that has been posted on here before. Not a Marans.

This looks to be the same Cochin Bantam that has been posted on here before. Not a Marans.
I agree with Snowbird. This is not a Marans. She may have Marans in her, but definately not a Marans. I also agree with Snowbird in thinking that she is more Cochin than Marans looking at the feathering on the legs and feet, and the tail.

JMO,
Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas
www.Marans2XL.com

This bird looks like a cochin cross. Does it lay a dark egg? It looks to have double feather leg gene (likely) too short of a back and tail... Is too compact...the color indicates that there is a dirty genetic code that will likely not improve any breeding program. Cute bird for a backyard flock. :)

This bird looks like a cochin cross. Does it lay a dark egg? It looks to have double feather leg gene (likely) too short of a back and tail... Is too compact...the color indicates that there is a dirty genetic code that will likely not improve any breeding program. Cute bird for a backyard flock. :)
geebsie, where ya been?
hugs.gif
Still breedin' the lowriders?

Back
Top Bottom