March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
DAY 20 and two hatched this morning! One blue and one dominant white. Could be paint, but I do not see any markings yet.😊
8 to go!
655DD886-F8CA-4813-A1E0-FA4C7CA79D53.jpeg

I have been a bit MIA and will catch up in a bit, but had a quick question!

I had 3 eggs make it to lockdown, all 3 pipped about 18 hours ago. One is hatched, one is zipping currently, but the last one pipped on the opposite end of the air cell and hasn't made much progress. Anything I should do for the little guy? I know not to intervene yet, but I can see him breathing in there still. Will he hatch on his own this way okay?

I have been a bit MIA and will catch up in a bit, but had a quick question!

I had 3 eggs make it to lockdown, all 3 pipped about 18 hours ago. One is hatched, one is zipping currently, but the last one pipped on the opposite end of the air cell and hasn't made much progress. Anything I should do for the little guy? I know not to intervene yet, but I can see him breathing in there still. Will he hatch on his own this way okay?
Nevermind! As soon as I posted this, he started zipping!!

I'm loving all of the chick pics! Today is day 20 (I think) for my eggs and I saw two wiggle and I for sure heard one chirping! I'm so excited, but I'm still really worried about the air cells not being large enough 😫
Hearing chirping is a good sign! You can make safety holes if you are worried in the ones that have internally pipped (chirping is a definite indication of this). This ensures they have enough air. DO NOT do it in any that have not internally pipped yet.
You should only do this if you are confident and can do it very quickly.😊
Here is a post of mine from last year where I describe how I do it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkies-they’re-simply-spectacular.1334299/post-25010305

Also described in detail in this article (excellent):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Back
Top Bottom