March 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
4 of the 11 have hatched, 2 more are well on their way. The last I was able to see, there were only 2 that hadn't pipped yet. Now, the eggs are getting kicked around a little, so I won't be able to get a good look until the hatched chicks are out of there, lol.

It has been an interesting hatch so far. The first chick out has a leg that seems to be set back a little bit and rotated in. He struggles to balance but doesn't seem to be in any pain...though that is hard to tell. Maybe with a few days walking on it will strengthen it?

There is also a chick that seems to be struggling to hatch, so I will need to keep an eye on him. I've never had to assist before, I might have to with this one...

View attachment 3025517View attachment 3025518
Great photos!😍

Sounds like the first one may need some treatment for the leg. I give them at least 24 hours to see if it does not straighten out on it's own.

If you need to assist that last egg, this is one of the best articles to guide you through it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

8/10 hatched! Last 2 are DIS.
6 Blue and 2 paint, though some of the blue could be black. Will be easier to tell when the rest get transferred to the brooder later today.😊
5C3F99A3-B8FC-4796-8F0A-90BC8D35C3C1.jpeg

My last set (due 3/31) already down to 17 from 26. Pulled 3 eggs yesterday that all had completely detached air cells. 6 more this morning that are infertile. Looks like these are all from the same bird. Closer inspection reveals they are from one of my younger pullets that inadvertently got included. Darn Silkie eggs all look the same!🤣

Love the dividers!😊
I’ve never seen a SilverBar, can’t wait to see what your chicks look like!
Thank you! My hubby is quite the toolmaker. Since my roo is black, the pullets will be black with dark legs and the cockerels with have a white spot and lighter legs! Someone already hatched 6 and had 5/6 pullets! Hope I get the same odds! 🤞

I'm getting chick fever seeing everyone's pictures! I can't wait until mine start hatching. 🤞

I just finished day 7 candling. Looks like 17:18 of the B/B/S Ameraucana eggs are viable with one early quitter. Not sure about the 6 black copper maran eggs. They're so dark, I can't see anything but the air cell...so I'll just leave them for now I guess, and see if the air cell looks bigger next week. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
I'm getting chick fever seeing everyone's pictures! I can't wait until mine start hatching. 🤞

I just finished day 7 candling. Looks like 17:18 of the B/B/S Ameraucana eggs are viable with one early quitter. Not sure about the 6 black copper maran eggs. They're so dark, I can't see anything but the air cell...so I'll just leave them for now I guess, and see if the air cell looks bigger next week. 🤷‍♀️
You can try candling the Marans eggs using two lights. One on each end. I use a candler on one end and the phone flashlight on the other. Requires an extra set of hands and a very dark room. Takes a bit of extra care too, not to drop them.😊

You can try candling the Marans eggs using two lights. One on each end. I use a candler on one end and the phone flashlight on the other. Requires an extra set of hands and a very dark room. Takes a bit of extra care too, not to drop them.😊
That's a good tip! I hadn't thought of using two lights!

Back
Top Bottom