march april and may hatch along

Don't water candle your eggs until at least a day after they were due to hatch. If there is a pip, even a tiny crack, you can drown the chicks.

But I will tell you how water candling works. Fill a bowl about twice as deep and twice as wide as an egg with 100-105 degree water. Allow the water to come to rest, and gently lower the egg in, pointy end first. Allow it to come to a rest. Whether the egg floats or sinks, if the chick is both alive and awake the egg will bob and rock in the water. If the chick is resting, it will be still. It's cool to see when the chick bobs the egg, but even a healthy chick doesn't always do it so it's not a great test.

I would not try it until day 23, and only to see if you should wait a little longer.

I set 4 chicken eggs on the 17th of April and they are due to hatch on Friday 8th May. However I accidentally knocked my incubator over when I got angry and kicked my shoe In the air and it hit the incubator and cracked open two of the eggs. They were day 9. I was too heartbroken to look so my mother did. she said that she saw a silvery string with blood I it and some other stringy things. She said that she couldn't see any embryo but in the bin. In the yolk. I found some thick stuff and I saw a small black ring with a hole in the middle just a bit smaller than a pencil eraser. I haven't been able to cope well in the past week and didn't know what to do with myself. I am going to see how these Las 2 eggs go. Some people say to me that it was an accident. I know that it was but they died be caus of my violent actions. Not because I unintentional dropped the eggs by mistake.

Does anybody know how to do the water test to see I the eggs are alive? My father said that his mother said if they sank then they are alive but on the internet it says the opposite. It says that if the eggs fall to the bottom then they are dead. Just if you are wondering i am a 15 year old boy.

Put an LED light to the eggs. That will tell you if they are dead or alive. Also I have done worse, your young and starting to go through a bad stage. My sudjestions is when you get angry, turn on some music and go for a walk. Or buy a punching bag and use it. I kicked my shoe up in the air one day from anger too and I out a hole in the silling sp. I do agree, it was an accident, but try to do something to calm urself when you get angry instead of kicking a shoe up. I've done way worse then that

Put an LED light to the eggs. That will tell you if they are dead or alive. Also I have done worse, your young and starting to go through a bad stage. My sudjestions is when you get angry, turn on some music and go for a walk. Or buy a punching bag and use it. I kicked my shoe up in the air one day from anger too and I out a hole in the silling sp. I do agree, it was an accident, but try to do something to calm urself when you get angry instead of kicking a shoe up. I've done way worse then that

Yup the best way to drain off anger is with physical exertion. And if you have a chore to do, like raking leaves or shoveling dirt or cleaning a barn that doesn't require a whole lot of thought, it's a great time to do it because by the time you bleed off that pent-up energy, the chore will be done! A walk or run is great if you don't have a more productive outlet, and will help you be more patient when you need to be.

What you are going through is an absolutely normal part of growing up, it's how you handle it and learn to manage yourself that builds your adult character. So learn and grow from your experiences!

WOW!  You have been busy. I am so sorry to hear about your hen, but very happy for you with your hatch! (Great pics) How is the little one doing that you assisted?

My first lockdown and on day 20 today (chicks) 22 for 5 pheasants...first pip this morning on one of the chick's eggs  :)  At work today, so I am hoping for some more when I get home.

The one I assisted is fine she is the runt of the flock but is doing great! We had one die, we hatched 16/28 from the eggs we set & one that passed she was tiny. Can't remember if I posted that.

I did take the time to photograph each one, something I wished we had done with our older flock. Here are some updated pics

Did you hatch? Sorry I am exhausted still.

well I went into lockdown yesterday with my chocolate wyandotte bantam eggs. 20 out of 24 eggs made it to this point. Heres hoping for a good hatch
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom