• 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
T
they will be fine. You can set my Brinsea to do that on purpose, but I haven't tried it yet

They will be fine.Dave Holderread in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks explains how to use a cooling method on duck eggs to get a higher hatch rate.& also that isn't long enough to kill them.
Yes, I agree. Remember that broody hens get off the nest every day to eat and drink, so the eggs would cool anyway.

Well..... Let me just open up another can of worms here...
My breeder friend who goes to poultry conferences told me about a study done that showed the most vital time for turning is the first week. After that, you wouldn't need to turn at all (although, I think I personally would turn once a day).
So, in theory, you could put the eggs from your flock in now, and then when your shipped eggs get there, put your flock's eggs on top of those. Also, seems to me that the way the Mini works would actually somewhat turn the stacked eggs as well...
Again, no paper to quote, take it or leave it...
wink.png
I was actually wondering if that would work for me - isn't it fairly early in the incubation that you can tell if the egg was fertile or not? I might have to try out the turning mechanism on the Mini because if I'm thinking the same thing as you, it could keep turning the stacked eggs until it becomes apparent which can continue to incubate and which can't.

My eggs are here! They shipped out Wednesday and made it early this morning. All looked great and were packaged very well. They didn't feel too cold, so hopefully they weren't exposed to the frigid outdoor temps for too long of periods. I have them in egg cartons for the next 24 hours. I candled one and the air cell seems to flop back and forth across the top of the egg, does that mean its detached?

Also, I have the Brinsea Mini Eco incubator. I put a little mini hygrometer in there, and the temp is reading 100.8 and the humidity is at 45%. Is that too hot? It was running at 98.8, so we fiddled with the temp on the back, not sure if I should try to get it down a little tiny bit? I want to get it just right before I put the eggs in.

I was actually wondering if that would work for me - isn't it fairly early in the incubation that you can tell if the egg was fertile or not? I might have to try out the turning mechanism on the Mini because if I'm thinking the same thing as you, it could keep turning the stacked eggs until it becomes apparent which can continue to incubate and which can't.

Yes, you can tell if it's clear by 7 days. Experts say 4 days and you can tell. Optimists say wait till 10 days before tossing. Depends on what boat you're in!
I'm thinking it's worth an experiment, but they're your eggs, not mine. ;)

My eggs are here! They shipped out Wednesday and made it early this morning. All looked great and were packaged very well. They didn't feel too cold, so hopefully they weren't exposed to the frigid outdoor temps for too long of periods. I have them in egg cartons for the next 24 hours. I candled one and the air cell seems to flop back and forth across the top of the egg, does that mean its detached?

Also, I have the Brinsea Mini Eco incubator. I put a little mini hygrometer in there, and the temp is reading 100.8 and the humidity is at 45%. Is that too hot? It was running at 98.8, so we fiddled with the temp on the back, not sure if I should try to get it down a little tiny bit? I want to get it just right before I put the eggs in.

Should be between 99.5 and 100. That's not so hot that it will kill them. BUT too high of heat can cause the chicks to develop too rapidly, which can cause defects, deaths, etc...

That's exciting snowchicken! This is my first time too, the guy I got some of my eggs has wonderful hatch rates....he advised me to keep my temp average around 99.5 for my forced air incubator and I have been keeping my still air one has been 100.5 to 101 (kind of been worrying myself if that's a tad low because it stays closer to 100.5) I have also been keeping my humidity in the 40s, it does get higher when I replenish the water but settles back down. Good luck with your eggs!

Back
Top Bottom